FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to achieve this effect? Playback is normal speed but looks like fast-motion

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dondré Gumbs
How to achieve this effect? Playback is normal speed but looks like fast-motion
on May 7, 2016 at 3:05:49 am

Hello everyone,

I had a quick question on how to achieve this specific effect. I'm not sure if this is just a post-production effect, or something that needs to be set up during filming, or both. The effect makes it seem like the dance is moving faster/choppier but it is still synced up to the music. And example is:

Does anyone know how to achieve this effect? I see it quite often and would like to replicate it.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: How to achieve this effect? Playback is normal speed but looks like fast-motion
on May 7, 2016 at 5:24:02 am

I didn't see much of this as actually running any higher than normal speed. Is there a specific sequence that where you notice what you're talking about?

I suppose you could get something like you describe by slowing the on-set music playback by a fixed amount, then increasing the playback by a similar amount in post, but at the end of the day, to keep the beat, the action is doing to have to match the tempo of the song or the beat will drift over time.

This whole video is a high dollar pastiche of color and post effects. Somebody threw a bunch of money on the screen. Not unusual in that J-pop is really good at that.

Can't help unless you can point out something more specific.

BTW, the link would only work on Chrome for me, not Safari. You might want to find an alternate link if you want everyone to add their 2 cents.

FWIW.

New signature under construction and coming soon. Please stand by...

Return to posts index

Warren Eig
Re: How to achieve this effect? Playback is normal speed but looks like fast-motion
on May 7, 2016 at 3:07:43 pm

Don't see anything obvious either. The link worked fine in Safari on my system, YMMV.

Warren Eig
O 310-470-0905

email: info@babyboompictures.com

For Camera Accessories - Monitors and Batteries

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on May 7, 2016 at 3:40:18 pm

[Bill Davis] "I didn't see much of this as actually running any higher than normal speed. Is there a specific sequence that where you notice what you're talking about?"
I believe they are talking about the effect that starts at 3:02 with the cheerleaders.
[Bill Davis] "I suppose you could get something like you describe by slowing the on-set music playback by a fixed amount, then increasing the playback by a similar amount in post, but at the end of the day, to keep the beat, the action is doing to have to match the tempo of the song or the beat will drift over time. "
+1

I believe you nailed it, Bill. It looks like they recorded it much slower and then increased the speed to make it look normal. This allows you to do moves that you never could do because you can't react that fast normally but at 1/2 speed it's very easy to do. Also you move differently when you are moving slower so the moves look unnatural when sped back up to normal speed giving it that jerky feel. Nicely done. (the whole video is actually nicely done)

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasstsoftware.com

Return to posts index

Bill Scheerer
on May 7, 2016 at 4:14:50 pm

I did this trick a long time ago and when it works it's a fun effect, but tricky and takes a lot of planning. It was so long ago it was shot on beta cam! If you have the actors or just the background people physically moving at normal speed and another set of foreground people moving at half speed when you double the speed in post the background is now moving at double speed but the foreground people are moving at regular speed. When we did it we had everyone moving their body's at regular speed but they were talking at half speed so after speeding it up everyone was moving fast but talking at regular speed. Lots of testing and trial and error needed to pull it off well. Also it helps to record the dialogue prior so you can play it at half speed on set so they know how slow to talk and then it is a VO dub in post. Lots of variations you can do on who is moving at what speed and recording at high frame rates adds to the options you can achieve with plenty of testing.

Return to posts index

Dondré Gumbs
on May 14, 2016 at 4:19:13 am

Hello everyone!

Thank you so much for your responses! I was successfully able to duplicate this effect! It was just one dancer (myself), but as instructed, I slowed down my audio to 50% and then danced that part at that speed (it was surprisingly difficult, as I obviously wanted to dance it faster!). Then, in editing I sped up the video x2, and it worked! Very simple yet interesting effect! Thanks so much for the help, everyone, I really appreciate it!

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on May 14, 2016 at 3:07:12 pm

Awesome! Glad you achieve the effect you were looking for.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasstsoftware.com

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on May 15, 2016 at 11:16:50 pm

It also works for slowmo. I usually shoot my music videos at 30p with the audio sped up 20%, the performance is given a slightly smoother appearance without it being directly noticeable.

A trick I've done to be able to know what part of the song I'm using is I make a video in FCP X of the song at normal speed with a nice big timecode burn, then I export, bring it back in to FCP X, adjust the speed, then export that to an iPhone compatible mp4. I do this for all the speeds I may use. Label them 30fps, 36fps, 48fps etc.

Then the iPhone becomes my smart slate and audio playback device. Been doing this since the iPod Video came out. Very handy.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]