FORUMS: list search recent posts

Moving Events - How do you prevent duplicate clips and render issues?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tangier Clarke
Moving Events - How do you prevent duplicate clips and render issues?
on Apr 28, 2016 at 5:04:38 pm

Folks, perhaps I am just doing this all wrong:

Workflow
Library on work computer
Copy library to external hard drive
Take home and work on edit
Come back to work, move home event to library on computer, delete old event on work computer
Move events and delete older events as needed per the drive/ computer I am working from.

Problems:
Duplicate clips, proxies don't come over, lots of rerendering.

I move events because when I used to move only the project with in FCP X or by XML I would get lots of duplicates. Additionally moving events lets me keep new keyword collections, tagging, etc.

My understanding was/is that moving events between libraries for the same project would keep things up to date on the current library I work from because FCP X would only take what it needs (the difference between the two events per that library. It shouldn't duplicate clips.

If I have event 101 in Library A (on the work computer), and have a copy of that same library on my drive I take home. When I bring it back and move the more up-to-date event back to Library A, FCP X calls it even 102 (audio incrementing) . That's fine. I delete Library A's 101, and rename the 102 to 101 (for episode numbering).

Doing this repeatedly I get duplicate clips; some of which I can't delete especially if they've been used in a project - which I try avoid. I try to adhere to using the first instance of the clip only.

Additionally, moving the events asks to bring optimized and proxies over. I often work with proxies, but those don't come over and if they do, there's still a lot of rerendering and and media management FCP X is doing; at the Finder level duplicating a lot clips that were already there - ending them in FCP 1, FCP 2, etc.

I love the access I have to media in FCP X, but keeping libraries and events nice and clean still presents challenges I thought I was avoiding by just moving projects or XMLS.

How do you all deal with this?

Tangier

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Moving Events - How do you prevent duplicate clips and render issues?
on Apr 28, 2016 at 5:23:09 pm

Why not just get a faster external hard drive and leave the project on it rather than transferring back and forth and making another copy. No real way around that unless you use something like Carbon Copy cloner that would detect duplicates at the finder level, which would also be dangerous if you changed something in one location and not in the either etc.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops

Return to posts index

Tangier Clarke
on Apr 28, 2016 at 5:26:18 pm

I understand your point as an option and sometimes that is the case. At work I use a RAID setup that stores many projects. I can't take that RAID home. I'd like to still figure out how to deal with this situation.

Tangier

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Apr 28, 2016 at 5:40:56 pm

Yeah XML is really the only way that FCPX itself can deal with this. If you wanted to bring in more robust asset management there's:

http://www.arcticwhiteness.com/finalcutlibrarymanager/
http://www.keyflowpro.com

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops

Return to posts index

Tangier Clarke
on Apr 28, 2016 at 5:44:36 pm

I have Library Manager. I just haven't familiarized myself with and leveraged all of it's features yet. I'll have to do that.

The thing is, I noticed a while ago that moving events (with a simple library) did not duplicate clips. FCP X only took what it needed (from the finder level), and deleting the old event helped to delete duplicates if there were any.

Something has gone wrong I suppose.

Tangier

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on May 11, 2016 at 5:22:33 am

That's correct, transferring an event from one library to another doesn't duplicate clips and media. I call them transfer events.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 28, 2016 at 5:45:38 pm

I work form one library.

I take the library home, and then bring it back to work.

I don't use Prpxies, though, and in order of rate proxies to stay linked, you can keep them in the library (which increases the library size, of course.).

There's a workflow developed and shared from a couple of FCPX users about making really small web proxies for use on remote collaboration that may suit you:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1kct2ejcfsbrmd7/FCPX%20Web%20Proxy%20Workflow%202...

Return to posts index

Tangier Clarke
on Apr 28, 2016 at 6:12:23 pm

You take the library home and bring it back, but do you keep working from the same drive no matter what? See there is benefit for me working from the RAID at work and the computer is faster as well.

So I have two copies of the same library for work and for home, but I just move events to keep things updated. If I could take the work RAID home, that'd be a different story. I wouldn't want to lug that large thing around anyway.

Tangier

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 28, 2016 at 6:18:00 pm

[Tangier Clarke] "You take the library home and bring it back, but do you keep working from the same drive no matter what?"

No. I have shared storage at work, and I use a portable 4TB USB3 drive to shuttle the media and library.

When I get back to work, I zip the 'old' library and keep it a backup folder and drag the library from the shuttle to the work computer. Relink and keep working.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Apr 28, 2016 at 8:48:53 pm

I would copy the library to an external. Take it home. Any imports you make of new footage import into a new event. Make all your edits and such to the project. Then bring the drive back. Open up both libraries. In FCP X copy the project (not event or library) from the library you're bringing back to the master. It will automatically copy over any new media and the keywords will come along. Then copy over all the new media you loaded in the new event to the regular event. Any clips that weren't used by the project will get copied. If you're not using internally managed libraries then you'll also need to hit the consolidate button otherwise media will still be linked to the external.

That's what I've been doing. No duplicate shots occur. But when one computer has certain plugs or custom motion fx and the other doesn't, sometimes FCP X just removes them. Even just leaving a blank transition with no data. I've also recently found a few FX that didn't get exported over XML. Could be user error, but my NewBlueFX color correction plug doesn't get exported in XML. Just vaporizes.

Return to posts index

Tangier Clarke
on May 12, 2016 at 6:51:00 pm

Thanks. Problem with this method (for me) is that whenever I just copy the project back to the work library it makes duplicates. Additionally, the project only takes what it needs, whereas I may have made transcoded versions of files that I'll need later such as proxies.

Simple question:

When you copy an event from one library to another, FCP X asks if you'd like to copy the optimized and/or proxy files (assuming the exist), shouldn't the versions of the files you checked copy over?

I am experiencing that none of my proxies that I made at home are not coming over to the work library. Once the copy is complete, the work library still says "Missing Proxies".

Is there something I am missing here?

Tangier

Return to posts index

Michael Angelo
on Oct 11, 2016 at 4:02:08 am

Watch the first 10 minutes of this video, specific workflow to duplicate multicam and create a transfer event to avoid duplicates created by dragging and dropping projects between libraries:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAv89cGexIM#action=share

Hope it helps in some way

MA

Harvest the compromises...

Return to posts index

Tangier Clarke
on May 19, 2016 at 5:03:23 pm

Proxy Copy Test

FCP X 10.2.3
Mac OS 10.11.5

Work Computer/ External Thunderbolt RAID
Create Library “Proxy Copy Test A”
Event auto generated with current date.
Import preference set to “copy to library location”
Create optimized and create proxy options unchecked.
Import file (via drag and drop)
Available media representations after import: Original only.
Transcode imported clip to proxy file
Available media representations after transcode: Original and Proxy

Proceeding on same computer, installation of FCP X and user account
Work Computer/External Mini Thunderbolt Drive (to take home)
Create Library “Proxy Copy Test B”
Event auto generated with current date (same as above)
Import preference unchanged from above.
Create optimized and create proxy options unchanged from above.
Drag event from Proxy Copy Test A library to Proxy Copy Test B library.
Prompt to copy items to the library Proxy Copy Test B library. Original media will be copied. Proxy media checkbox checked to copy over.
New event created by copy process in Proxy Copy Test B library (since FCP X doesn’t allow same name events)
Delete original event in Proxy Copy Test B and rename the newly created one to match the event in Proxy Copy Test A. This should be OK because FCP X will not delete media from one event if it’s in another and still part of the same library. This allows me to keep things in sync.
Available media representations of clip in copied event: Original and Proxy
Reveal in Finder on clip in copied event shows proxy file (not alias) actually in the transcoded media folder on the mobile drive.

Successful test so far. No duplicates. Proxies copied. This is not my normal experience.
Close all libraries
Quit FCP X
Plug in mobile drive on laptop and load library

Same Mac OS, same version of FCP X
Laptop/ Proxy Copy Test B library
Import preference same as above.
Create optimized and create proxy options samosa above.
Create a project called Proxy Test
Put clip on project storyline, make a few edits.
Import new clip.
Transcode clip to proxy file (media was shown as missing proxy since storyline playback setting was set to proxy)
Available media representations after transcode: Original and Proxy
Edit into storyline.
Assign keyword for both clips in browser called test clips.
Close library and quit FCP X

Plug mobile drive back into work computer
Work Computer/External Mini Thunderbolt Drive
Open Proxy Copy Test B library and Proxy Copy Test A library
Everything checks out for edits made, available media, and keywords
Now to update Proxy Copy Test A’s event with B’s event
Drag event from Proxy Copy Test B library to Proxy Copy Test A library.
Prompt to copy items to the library Proxy Copy Test A library. Original media will be copied. Proxy media checkbox checked to copy over.
New event created by copy process in Proxy Copy Test A library (since FCP X doesn’t allow same name events)
Delete original event in Proxy Copy Test A and rename the newly created one to match the event in Proxy Copy Test A. This should be OK because FCP X will not delete media from one event if it’s in another and still part of the same library. This allows me to keep things in sync.
Available media representations of clip in copied event to Proxy Copy Test A: Original and Proxy
Reveal in Finder on clip in copied event shows proxy file (not alias) actually in the transcoded media folder on the work external thunderbolt RAID

Successful test so far. No duplicates. Proxies copied. This is not my normal experience.

Repeat as needed.

This is my usual process and this time around it seems to be working. The difference between this test and my usual projects that run into proxies not copying over as well as lots of duplicate clips is I am using synchronized and multicam files.

Still not sure why I have that issue.

Tangier

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]