FORUMS: list search recent posts

Why isn't audio fade working in Compressor 4?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christopher New
Why isn't audio fade working in Compressor 4?
on Apr 21, 2016 at 9:07:27 pm

(Side bar: weird that there's no Apple Compressor forum, but oh, well…)

I've noticed this issue in Compressor for a while now, but am only just now taking a moment to check with my good friends on the Cow: Every time I've tried to use the "Fade In/Out" effect under the audio tab, I get either no result, or completely dead audio for the specified duration (depending on the gain level), but never a ramping of the audio value. I've tried every variation of settings to get a fade, but no dice. Even a mid-gain value totally mutes the audio for the duration of the effect.

The video fade effect does work just fine. It would be nice to have this effect work, so that I could do quick trims of clips (as is the nature of my work sometimes), or even make an automated workflow, but so far I can't utilize Compressor in that way without this effect working. Anyone know what I might be missing? I'm on OS X 10.5 Yosemite, with the latest updates for FCP X & Compressor (10.2.3 & 4.2.2, respectively). Thanks!

Christopher New
Dallas Center, IA

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Why isn't audio fade working in Compressor 4?
on Apr 22, 2016 at 11:55:28 am

Are you trying to do one frame fades? Try doing two or three.

Return to posts index

Christopher New
on Apr 25, 2016 at 5:45:10 pm

As far as I can tell, the duration relates to the effect's length in seconds (though it's not clearly documented anywhere if that's true), because when I set it to 3.0 for example, it kills the audio for 3 seconds; still no fade in or out. Again, gain only has the effect of setting the "shelf" for the audio, not a start or end point for a fade.

If I'm doing something wrong in the settings, (A) I don't know what it could be, because I've tried everything, and (B) seems like bad UI implementation.

Christopher New
Dallas Center, IA

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 25, 2016 at 5:58:56 pm

What are your settings? The audio fades seems to work for me.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Christopher New
on Apr 25, 2016 at 7:03:56 pm

I've been using the Apple Devices presets, and selecting either 0 or -100 as the gain setting, but I was just playing around with things, and found that the gain kinda acts like a logarithmic fader on the clip? So for instance:

I set the fade out duration to 1.0, and the gain to, say -6. The clip begins to fade out, but is still audible several seconds after the out point, finally fading out after several seconds…

So, what I'm discovering (again, thanks, Apple!!! for documenting this so well), is that the audio fade out is a function of the time x gain, so that about -40db gives you a pretty clean ramp over a 1-second duration.

I don't understand why it should work this way, especially when on the video fade you just set the number of seconds for the fade in/out. Feels like setting cruise control in a car by specifying the tension on a throttle cable, instead of just entering the speed. You feel me?!?!

Thanks for the assist!

Christopher New
Dallas Center, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]