FORUMS: list search recent posts

Footage import bypass camera archive

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Luke Ogden
Footage import bypass camera archive
on Apr 6, 2016 at 5:45:25 pm

I like to keep all camera media outside of the project Library and have FCPX make proxies for me inside the library upon import.

The purpose being I can take my Library on an external and have a small offline project to take 'on the road', as in this tutorial.

My only issue is; say I've ingested the footage from the camera media to an external drive already, I use the import window and direct FCPX to its location, but one it recognises the file/folder structure of a camera it assumes I'm adding from the original camera media, and as such, greys out the 'leave in place' making me import the original footage into the Library.

Any way of avoiding this? besides changing my preferences beforehand and dragging from finder.

27" iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB 1333 MHz DDR3, OS X 10.9.1 //
Adobe CC Suite

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: Footage import bypass camera archive
on Apr 7, 2016 at 6:15:17 pm

[Luke Ogden] "but one it recognises the file/folder structure of a camera it assumes I'm adding from the original camera media, and as such, greys out the 'leave in place' making me import the original footage into the Library. "

I'm curious about that, too. It seems that all MXF and AVC media (from various camera models) all want to be copied into the library without other options. So if you've copied the camera card with its entire structure to your hard drive, you effectively have to copy it again to get into FCPX.

If Adobe has this figured out, why not Apple?

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 7, 2016 at 7:23:55 pm

'Break' the folder structure temporarily.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Apr 7, 2016 at 8:55:10 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "'Break' the folder structure temporarily."

That works for the MXF C300 stuff. Not for any AVC media, like from the Sony DSLRs.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 7, 2016 at 9:06:48 pm

It works for XAVC, Simply remove the :CLIPS: folder out of the structure. It works for any card structure, really.

You can also move the import plugins from the FCPX package, launch FCPX and when you navigate to the folder within the import window, the MXF files show up and "Leave in place" is available.

Looks like this:

You can even write an Automator script to move the import plugins in and out of the package.

Tread lightly.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Apr 7, 2016 at 10:47:47 pm

I always drag directly from the finder into X and it always leaves in place. I never tweak the folder structure. Does that not work for this flavor of avc?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 7, 2016 at 10:52:21 pm

Me too, but he said he didn't want to drag and drop?

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Apr 7, 2016 at 10:53:46 pm

[Bret Williams] "Does that not work for this flavor of avc"

Nope. It says "no importable files" when I try that.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 7, 2016 at 11:07:00 pm

What codec?

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Apr 7, 2016 at 11:17:20 pm

In the case of the MXF - that could be moved out of the folder and imported. That was XF from a C300.

In the case of the AVC clips - two different examples. One from a Panasonic consumer HD video camera. The other is from a Sony A7S. Both are H.264 wrapped in an AVC container. When you try to open the clip using "show package contents" you can only get one level down but not the actual video clip. However, after imported into FCPX, the video is stripped out of the package and it revealed as Clip #1.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Apr 8, 2016 at 1:03:05 am

[Oliver Peters] "However, after imported into FCPX, the video is stripped out of the package and it revealed as Clip #1."

FWIW - this is a rewrapped 25Mbps H.264 QuickTime file after the copy function. You can move it out of the package and then it will import "normally" using the "leave in place" setting. So probably the file format requires rewrapping, hence the limitation that makes "copy" the only option.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 8, 2016 at 1:47:33 am

If it's h264 fcpx should read it. It can read m2t mts MXF and others.

You can get the files out of AVCHD but you have to copy them out.

X wants to rewrap as it will join spanned clips (clips over 2 or 4GBs) or in the case of XAVC or any camera that has UDF formatted cards, or anything that allows files over 4GBs, spanned clips that roll on to the next card.

This is a case of making it easy for the user, and doing a lot of automatic things. I wish it were an option, rather than a mandate because the import and rewrap option will also add more metadata if it was set in camera.

While I greatly appreciate the native format support, I ise it daily, I wish we could have all the benefits of the import window without the rewrap/transcode.

Although AVCHD could explode in to a feiry ball of bits and I wouldn't miss it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]