FORUMS: list search recent posts

SD card/FCPX import issue

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Witthaus
SD card/FCPX import issue
on Apr 6, 2016 at 12:58:21 pm

Hey all -

I had a team of students come to me with a problem they were having with AVCHD footage shot on a Sony HXR-70U. Upon importing (directly from the card, so no changes were made to the file/folder structure) into X, it seems they had everything checked properly: copy to library (partition on a Terrablock) being the most important one. However, once the footage was imported, each clip had that camera icon on it. The only way to get around this was to highlight every clip and re-import it using the import from camera/archive commands. Then everything worked fine. Any ideas on what could have happened or what they might have done? I created a new library and had the same results from that card. Thanks in advance.

Scott Witthaus

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Sam Lee
Re: SD card/FCPX import issue
on Apr 6, 2016 at 1:21:51 pm

The only permanent workaround in dealing with AVCHD media is to rewrap it to a container .MOV. Rewrapping can easily be done with FCP7's log and transfer. But this method defeats the purpose of native AVCHD editing but it works very well for me. If the source is moved to a different location, I can do a global relink instead of painstakingly go to every clip and do it. It costs a bit more time but current ver of FCP X seems to support rewrapped media better than native cam media.

Same thing goes for native P2 format as well. For some odd reasons beyond my understanding, native format editing support has not fully matured in FCP X. It needs lots of improvements ahead.

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Apr 6, 2016 at 1:23:37 pm

Actually, I deal with AVCHD straight off the card all the time. For some reason, this problem has occurred. Thanks.

Scott Witthaus
1708 Inc./Editorial

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Apr 7, 2016 at 10:32:52 am

We shoot with P2 cams and FCP X reads the files natively and doesn't have any problems with them. When X first came out I needed to use the Panasonic reader to convert the footage. But then Apple added P2 support. I see no difference if I check optimize or not.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 6, 2016 at 5:01:05 pm

[Scott Witthaus] "Any ideas on what could have happened or what they might have done?"

Stopped the import process before it was complete?

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Apr 6, 2016 at 5:38:38 pm

Thanks Jeremy -

I certainly think that could be the case.

Scott Witthaus
1708 Inc./Editorial

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Apr 7, 2016 at 10:28:17 am

Not sure this is the same as you are describing but I once had P2 footage become corrupt and I tried to reimport into FCP X from the card copy and X couldn't read the card copy. So I copied the card files back onto a P2 card. I put the card back in a P2 cam. The camera had an error message that (can't remember the wording but the bottom line was it wasn't wrapped properly). I opened it in the playback mode on the camera. It then got rewrapped to P2 standard. I then put the card back in the mac and everything relinked perfectly.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]