FORUMS: list search recent posts

Bulk changing the proxy media symbol link when the lib storage media is set to an ext. source

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sam Lee
Bulk changing the proxy media symbol link when the lib storage media is set to an ext. source
on Apr 6, 2016 at 4:04:28 am
Last Edited By Sam Lee on Apr 6, 2016 at 4:01:45 am

The ability to set an external source (local drive or AFP, NFS share) on the media location is a tremendous feature for editing massive library. I can edit between different libraries without having to copy or duplicate media from one to another. The common proxy media share is awesome. I can compile decade-long worth of footage without needing massive RAID arrays.

Everything is great so far EXCEPT one thing: When I need to upgrade or change the volume or folder name of the external media, all of the links will no longer work. I just spent 3 weeks creating proxy media from various hdd sources. Is there any 3rd party util that will bulk process this symbolic link to the new location? Don't want to spend several weeks having to regenerate proxy media just for a simple updated new storage and/or folder location.

Another limitation is not being able to move the generated proxy media in the library to an external source. The workaround here is to regenerate proxy media again and it will go to the external media source. But when you have decade worth of media, it's getting costly in terms of time, power consumption and system resource.

Return to posts index

Andreas Kiel
Re: Bulk changing the proxy media symbol link when the lib storage media is set to an ext. source
on Apr 6, 2016 at 3:37:38 pm

Hi,

For me the proxy stuff doesn't fit my personal needs, but it is just me working with a lot of graphics.

"As always" you can use an XML - BUT only if Fcpx has it in it's internal data base for the project.
Fcpx is very picky reconnecting files.

If you want you can send me an email: kiel at spherico dot com.
Probably I can create a tool for Fcpx in a way I did for Fcp.

- Andreas

Spherico
http://www.spherico.com/filmtools

"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby
become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will
also gaze into thee." - Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]