FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX Files Appear Black In Timeline - Cannot Relink

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Miller
FCPX Files Appear Black In Timeline - Cannot Relink
on Apr 4, 2016 at 1:25:34 pm

So I edited a project in FCPX, then I wanted to colour it in Davinci. The Davinci timeline wasn't recognizing some transformation changes I had made on clips in my FCPX project, showing the video as a compressed rectangle in the centre of the screen.

As a workaround I thought I could remove all the transformations, etc., export an xml, grade, then export the files into a new folder with the same name as the original source files, and then make FCPX relink the project files to the new graded files - my hope being that all the transformations, edits, stabilizations, etc. would simply be applied to the graded footage and I'd have the finished product. (I've successfully done something similar with ML RAW footage in the past)

Unfortunately, however, the edit had multiple sections of singular source clips, so when I exported from Davinci, segments of a single clip overwrote each other (since they had the same name) and a bunch of data was unable to link to the project.

Ready to cut my loses, I tried to relink the FCPX project back to the original media, but at this juncture my problem arose. For some reason, large portions of the edit can not be relinked. Upon exiting and reopening FCPX, the program "thinks" the files are linked, but the content is pure blackness when played back.

I tried to export and XML and open it in another library with the original media files and the timeline showed solid black clips in the timeline.

Help! Is there any way to relink the files and save my project? So far relinking files does nothing. Trying to reveal the missing, black video in the finder also does nothing, FCPX just sits there and finder doesn't open.

Return to posts index

Eric Miller
Re: FCPX Files Appear Black In Timeline - Cannot Relink
on Apr 4, 2016 at 1:23:37 pm

EDIT - I posted those pictures in reverse.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Apr 4, 2016 at 2:53:25 pm

Are you relinking missing or all? You need to try and force relink back but this sounds like a bit of a disaster round tripping wise.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops

Return to posts index

Eric Miller
on Apr 4, 2016 at 3:37:12 pm

I tried both re linking all and missing, but neither has worked. Also, the clips aren't actually registering as missing, which is the strangest part of this. Fcpx is behavin as if the clips are there, but there is no content.

Is there another way to "force" it to relink that I don't know about?

Thanks for the help so far!

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Apr 4, 2016 at 6:00:36 pm

You could try toggling between proxy and original/optimized. But I'm guessing your XML may be borked by back/forth with so many issues. You may need to simply go back to the original before it was sent to Resolve.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops

Return to posts index

Eric Miller
on Apr 4, 2016 at 9:27:03 pm

Okay so I think what happened is that the coloured files I exported from Davinci had audio, and the original media files don't, so the files won't link because they are considered a different "type". Is there a way to make FCPX ignore audio information when importing video content? If so I think it'll solve my problem.

Return to posts index

Eric Miller
on Apr 4, 2016 at 9:40:33 pm

Okay for even further intrigue, FCPX was saying it couldn't link clips because the original file "didn't have audio, but the new one does", so I had the idea to run one clip through davinci, export the same codec/container etc., but remove the audio channel, and then try and relink that file (I don't need the audio off the video, so this could work as a solution).

Then FCPX say:

"The original file didn't have video, but the new file does.

Relinked files must have the same media type and similar audio channels as the original files, and must be long enough to cover all the clips that reference the files."

Which is obviously a foolish statement, silly FCPX.

So uh... any idea out there what's going on?

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Apr 5, 2016 at 11:46:51 am

Are both apps current and are they both installed on the same machine? I hit a similar issue in the past but it related to going between different machines. Kind of makes you wish for a viable EDL workflow. :/

Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Eric Miller
on Apr 5, 2016 at 12:10:04 pm

Davinci 12
Fcpx 10.1.3 (not current)

Both are on the same machine

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Apr 5, 2016 at 1:21:45 pm

Upgrade the versions and see if that makes any difference.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]