FORUMS: list search recent posts

Computer Buying Advice!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Villeneuve
Computer Buying Advice!
on Apr 1, 2016 at 2:52:45 pm

Hi everyone.

A good friend of mine is about to upgrade his whole edit suite. He has an old cheese grater mac that's not quite doing it for him anymore. He has a successful YouTube channel and works with FCPX. He works a lot with multi-cam clips that combine HD and 4k go pro footage. He also works with a lot of DSLR footage. He's not sure whether he should get a New Mac Pro Tube (mid tier $6000 with the better GPUs) or a fully stacked 5K iMac.

My opinion is that he should go with the stacked iMac and use the extra money he would have spent on the Mac Tube to buy a really fast RAID set up. He also gets the added benefits of one of the nicest computer screens in the known universe with the iMac.

I'd love some experience-based opinions on this. I myself own the Tube with Thunderbay IV RAID because I often edit TV commercials I've directed. So I'm working with 4/5k Red Cam/Alexa footage and such. I just think that based on the materials he works with, he doesn't need to pony up the extra cash to get the tube. But I could be wrong. I'd love to hear from anyone and everyone about this!

Thanks a bunch!

James.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Computer Buying Advice!
on Apr 1, 2016 at 3:57:00 pm

Either is more than up to the task. Make sure to get great storage to go with it.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops

Return to posts index

Doug Metz
on Apr 1, 2016 at 7:59:21 pm

[Noah Kadner] "Either is more than up to the task. Make sure to get great storage to go with it.
"

+1

Fast storage should be your focus - as Noah said, either machine will be great if your storage isn't a bottleneck. I'm getting great throughput with an Areca 8050T2 in RAID 6.

Doug Metz

Anode

Return to posts index

James Villeneuve
on Apr 29, 2016 at 5:26:59 pm

Thanks for the input, fellas. Looks like my friend is going with the iMac with some fast storage. I think that's the best choice based on my own assumptions and your knowledge. So, it's a happy ending.

Have a good one!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]