FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compressor aspect ratio dysfunction

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Todd Nystrom
Compressor aspect ratio dysfunction
on Mar 11, 2016 at 7:49:47 pm

I am a FCPX editor and I rarely use Compressor other than its presets. A broadcast TV client sent me a Compressor “Droplet” to run my final HD FCPX edit through to meet their specs. The FCPX edit sequence is at the HD standard of 1920x1080i @29.97 fps. The droplet is a settings preset for Compressor. The problem I am having is this; although the aspect ratio of the preset is clearly entered in properly as 720x486, the file renders out 640x480. This Compressor preset settings are SD anamorphic as well (I am aware of the "squeeze"). Why is it not rendering out at 720x486, but at 640x480 instead?
Thank you!

Return to posts index

Todd Nystrom
Re: Compressor aspect ratio dysfunction
on Mar 11, 2016 at 7:58:44 pm

Here (below) is a screen shot of the specs of the Compressor rendered final that shows the problematic 640x486 "Display" setting. How did this get there? It was not in the preset.
Thanks

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 11, 2016 at 9:13:31 pm

Uncheck "add clean aperture".

Return to posts index

Todd Nystrom
on Mar 11, 2016 at 9:20:19 pm

Thanks Jeremy. What does this check box affect actually? Is it solely the display aspect ratio?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 11, 2016 at 9:59:21 pm

Yes, that's part of it.

Sometimes it attempts to push the movie in a bit to clean the edges.

QT7 had a lot more display options, QTX, does not. As long as the movie says 720x486, you should be fine, but unchecking that box might help.

Return to posts index

Todd Nystrom
on Mar 11, 2016 at 10:59:36 pm

Ok I tried it with unchecking the box and still got the same result. So I'm still looking for the solution.
Thanks!

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 11, 2016 at 11:07:14 pm

Shouldn't it display at 864x486 if it's anamorphic SD? Not 640x486. That's 4:3 display.

Return to posts index

Todd Nystrom
on Mar 11, 2016 at 11:25:07 pm

Hi Bret,
Not sure. Notice the FRAME RATE says what it should say (720x486, ENCODED), but the DISPLAY says 640x486. Unchecking ADD CLEAN APERTURE caused no change.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 11, 2016 at 11:30:06 pm
Last Edited By Jeremy Garchow on Mar 11, 2016 at 11:30:51 pm

640x486 (and it's only for display!!) is going to look better as the pixels will square instead of rectangular.

If you still have QT7 on your machine, you can open the movie, click command-j, click the 'presentation' button, and click 'conform aperture' to 'encoded pixels'. That will show you the non-square pixels.

If you need anamorphic, then you should set the aspect ratio as such.

Right now you have 4:3 selected.

Return to posts index

Todd Nystrom
on Mar 11, 2016 at 11:47:47 pm

Sorry I misinformed with the 16x9 bars on the side. That is not the case. The frame is 4x3 squeezed (intentionally)

Return to posts index

Todd Nystrom
on Mar 11, 2016 at 11:49:47 pm

Still need it to render at 720x486.
Help :)

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 12, 2016 at 12:02:04 am

Your source is 16:9, right? If so it should fill the frame at 720x486 anamorphic. Display shouldn't be 640x486 in either case it doesn't seem. If you have bars on the side of a 720x486 4x3 video displaying at 640x480 then something is screwy. That'd be 4:3, but with an extremely squished video in the middle.

Return to posts index

Todd Nystrom
on Mar 12, 2016 at 12:12:09 am

Yes you are correct Bret. My bad, bad info on 16x9 squished with bars. The frame is not 16x9 with bars. It is 4x3 squished, no bars. So something is off in the preset's settings. Do you see what it is? I have entered 720x486 (16x9), but it renders out 640x486 (4x3). Check the two screen shots.
Thanks

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 12, 2016 at 12:15:41 am

No it rendered 720x486. But it's flagged 4:3 and not anamorphic. So it's displaying it 640x486 which is 4:3 on a computer. It should display it 864x486. But in either case it would fill the 720x486 frame.

Return to posts index

Todd Nystrom
on Mar 12, 2016 at 12:32:10 am

Great stuff Bret. So what action then do I need to take? Do I need to change a setting in their Compressor Preset? If so, what?
Thanks

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 12, 2016 at 2:02:48 am

I'm so confused.

What do you need to do?

Downconvert and center cut?

Downconvert and letterbox?

Downconvert and anamorphic?

The preset says anamorphic. I'd change the pixel aspect ratio to NTSC (16:9).

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 12, 2016 at 3:02:37 pm

I would too. I assumed he was taking his 16:9 HD file and sending it to an SD TV station. In which case I don't see how a droplet is going to work. You really need 3 droplets. My choice would be center cut, but that might cut off titles if you didn't design for it. So letterbox would be the only across the board option-but letterbox looks completely stupid on an HD TV. However this droplet says anamorphic in the title of the droplet, yet the pixel ratio is set to square. It should be .844 not 1.25. Do TV stations even have a use for anamorphic? A broadcast TV station would have to downconvert anamorphic to letterbox on the fly, instantly removing the extra vertical resolution of anamorphic.

Our local PBS station has a SD and an HD feed. I used to work on a yearly GA Music Hall of Fame awards show for them and when we finally went HD with the show I discovered the hard way that their SD feed was nothing but a center cut of the HD feed. Not a letterbox. That would've been helpful info in the edit! All my HD title safe titles were cut off left and right on the SD feed. But hey, so were the titles on Dinosaur Train!

So, what do you want to do? Letterbox or center cut or anamorphic?

Return to posts index

Todd Nystrom
on Mar 12, 2016 at 4:14:54 pm

Thanks Bret. I have no choice in the matter. Here are the specs from the TV station:

Technical Standards
Program must be in one of the following formats:
4x3 Anamorphic 720x486
NTSC Standard Definition
 Beta SP
 Digital Beta
All 16x9 programs that are supplied to us in 4x3 anamorphic formats will be broadcast
faithfully.
They will not be center-cut or letter-boxed. The 4x3 anamorphic PAL programming will be
converted as supplied, and will appear as 16x9 full screen as the producer intended when
viewed on a television that is set to wide screen mode.
-END-

What option do I have?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 12, 2016 at 4:46:12 pm

Dude.

Change the aspect ratio setting to NTSC CCIR 709 (16:9) and transcode it.

Then you're done.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 12, 2016 at 5:14:45 pm

Yep. Their droplet is wrong. As is their language calling things 4:3 anamorphic. There's no such thing. You don't change a videos aspect ratio just because you make it anamorphic. It's still 16:9.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 12, 2016 at 9:33:47 pm

4x3 FHA (Full Height Anamorphic) is a valid display.

It's 16x9 squeezed in to 4x3 frame. Upon broadcast, it's 'de-squeezed' (stretched) and looks 16x9.

If you look at the encoded pixels, it's a 4x3 frame with 'tall horses'.

Please sir, I beg of you, change your pixel aspect ratio to 601 (16:9) and send it off.

Return to posts index

Todd Nystrom
on Mar 16, 2016 at 1:33:21 pm

Sorry been overloaded with work, back now.
Jeremy I took your advice (change your pixel aspect ratio to 601 (16:9)) but selected the option with 16x9 "DV" as they had also selected the option in the drop down menu (but they didn't have 16x9 selected.
Attached is the result. Please advise.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 16, 2016 at 3:02:43 pm

That is exactly what you want, my friend.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 12, 2016 at 5:12:22 pm

[Todd Nystrom] "All 16x9 programs that are supplied to us in 4x3 anamorphic formats will be broadcast
faithfully.
They will not be center-cut or letter-boxed.

I'd like to know how they're gonna do that! This is an SD station, right?

Return to posts index

Todd Nystrom
on Mar 11, 2016 at 11:29:15 pm

I don't yet understand all the anamorphic stuff, but the Compressor preset came from the client and it does not do what they are asking it to do. The final render is 16x9 but has the bars on the sides and has squeezed the hd original to 4x3 with the bars. That was intentional. but the cannot accept it because of the aspect ratio is not 720x486.
Any other thoughts?
Thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]