FORUMS: list search recent posts

Lost all my work and no sign of project in FCPX - do I need to start again?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Howard Ritchie
Lost all my work and no sign of project in FCPX - do I need to start again?
on Mar 11, 2016 at 2:54:45 pm

Sorry about the newb post... I promise to repay:

DO I NEED TO START AGAIN. Project all gone, no sign of it at all.

1.Last few days I have been working on a project which I called : Audi A1

I cannot recall if I created a new "Project" for it, I just created library and event and began editing in the arrangement window at the bottom.

2. My computer shut down last night and so I have lost the movie "arrangement" in FCPX when I reopened the programme.

3. I can however see the library but there is a Yellow Triangle on the folder signifying missing proxy media.

I tried the following things.

1. Open "Audi" Back up from my computer by right clicking "Movies/FinalCut Back ups"

2. Right click Audi A1 20160310_2137_GMt1

3. The library is shown in the libaries section, the media to the right is showing as red and Missing Proxy.

4. I selected all the Red Proxy Missing Files and then chose File/RelinkFiles Then Locate and then Relink.

5. The files are found by Final Cut and then when I select them in the Relink Window and click Relink. Nothing Happens. The window closes and there are no background tasks. Nothing.

Then.

1. Clicked the drop down from the Purple Square Library icon to show two folders. Smart Collections and a date i.e. -9-03-2016

2. This has a Yellow Icon and Warning Triangle.

3. I select all the files in this folder and click relink.. Again same process - no background tasks, they do not relink.

4. I clicked smart collections and repeated step 3 above.. again all the files that are missing are found, then the relink files command does nothing and the window closes.

Then.

1. I chose to "view original media" in the "view" window.

2. The red missing proxy files warning icon dissapears and all the videos are visible along with all audio files.

Then.

1. From the smart collections drop down again, I now select "Projects"

2. The folder is empty.

3. Again, the project editor window below is empty.

Then.

1. I closed FCPX and chose File/Library/Other and selected "Audi" followed by the last date I remember a few days ago.

2. All the videos now were shown and no warnings. Yet still no project.

So.

1. I decided to see what would happen if I chose to open a library from previous videos.

2. I was able to find one project in the folder which allowed me to open the project and it showed all the video and content.

However.

Still no Audi Project.

Does this look like I have to start again because I did not create a project for it?

I assumed it automatically created a project when you create a library or event?

Start Again from Scratch?

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
Re: Lost all my work and no sign of project in FCPX - do I need to start again?
on Mar 12, 2016 at 4:52:27 pm

Ok. You likely have two things going on here. First, your proxy media was showing as offline because you never asked FCPX to make proxy media from your original files. This can be confusing, but basically this boils down to a display issue. One that you've solved, based on your post. As long as you keep the display showing original media, you should be fine with your media. If you desire to work with proxies, you can always select all the clips in your library/event, right click and choose Transcode to have it create proxies. It'll do this in the background but you have to wait to use the proxy view until it's finished.

The second issue is one that I see with people new to FCPX. Every clip in your browser can be opened in it's own timeline. This is a convenient way to make changes to the master clip before it ever makes its way into a sequence or "project". What I've seen often is that sometimes new FCPX editors will open a clip in Timeline and proceed to edit their project inside that clip (which FCPX allows you to do). The downside to this, aside from ruining one of your master clips, is that if you crash, FCPX won't know where you left off and it'll look to you as if your project went missing, when in reality, you never had a project to begin with.

The short answer (hopefully) is that no, you don't have to start over. However, the long answer is, you're going to have to right click and choose Open in Timeline for every one of your clips until you find the sequence you'd been working on. Once you do. you need to create an actual project (CMD+N) and copy/paste the contents of that clip into the project. Then, it'll probably be a good idea to reimport the master clip you mangled my editing an entire project into it.

Andy

https://plus.google.com/u/0/107277729326633563425/videos

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Mar 12, 2016 at 5:01:00 pm

Excellent response, Andy.

Truly excellent. Clear and cogent explanation of a all to common way X goes wrong for many new editors.

Nice job.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Howard Ritchie
on Mar 12, 2016 at 5:12:35 pm

Amazing..
That helped... and you are a

LE GE ND

Took me ages to go through all the libraries and look for a file that was a similar length then right click and open which thankfully dropped it all back in the time line.

The result was 1 Successful Audi Micro Review thanks to you!

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 12, 2016 at 5:35:18 pm

You do understand it didn't drop it back into the project sequence. You don't have a project. What you did is incorrect and you need to copy and paste the entire contents of that clip (you're editing your show inside a video clip) and paste it into a project.

Return to posts index

Howard Ritchie
on Mar 12, 2016 at 7:28:21 pm

Nope - I right clicked or dragged it down and everything was there.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 12, 2016 at 8:09:52 pm

Right clicked or dragged WHAT down? Earlier you agreed with Andy. Which means you were editing inside a clip. When you right click on a clip and choose "open in timeline" it should actually read "reveal clip contents." But Apple doesn't seem to know the difference between a timeline and a project, so I'm not surprised.

Return to posts index

Marty Mulholland
on May 31, 2017 at 5:27:01 am

Just wanted to say a huge thank you to Andy for nailing this issue. Never lost a single file, event, or shot since final cut 10 came out then was left scratching my head when a project a colleague was working on just vanished.

Was about to give up and found this post, and for some weird reason an edit had been compiled inside another clip.

listing the clips by duration, and we spotted it. Woohoo!

Return to posts index

Patrick Donegan
on Mar 14, 2016 at 1:36:05 am

Have you used "OmniDiskSweeper" to sweep thru your hard drive
to see all the large files that include what you are searching for?

FCP X 10.2.1 - user since FCP 1.25
iMac mid 2011, MBA mid 2012
iPhone 4
HVX-200, Shure wireless mic
Miller Solo tripod
Advanta-Jib

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]