FORUMS: list search recent posts

Rename file on disk?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andreas Zeitler
Rename file on disk?
on Mar 8, 2016 at 7:46:23 am

Hello,

I know this is not possible with FCPX, at the moment, but it was a sometimes handy feature in the old Final Cut Pro. Is there an AppleScript to do this? Is there anything else that does this?

By the way: the AppleScript dictionary doesn't open in Script Editor. Is this intentional?

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
Re: Rename file on disk?
on Mar 8, 2016 at 8:21:38 am

If you're trying to open the FCPX dictionary, it doesn't have one. It doesn't support AppleScript.

Currently you can't rename the files in the finder once you've imported them into FCPX. You can virtually rename them inside FCPX through. It's just a case of having to sort out that naming convention ahead of time, not a big deal overall.

If you absolutely had to do it, then I guess you could export an XML and trawl through that, renaming the clips as per the new Finder name, and then reimport the XML. But I think you'd have to be mighty desperate to go there...

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer | Southern Creative Media | Melbourne Australia
http://www.southerncreative.com.au | G+: http://gplus.to/jeffkirkland | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Andreas Zeitler
on Mar 8, 2016 at 11:14:09 am

Thank you. I just saw that the AppleScript example I found was for a demo application named "SimpleAssetManager". Bummed. It's actually not that hard to go through the XML, you only have to remember to export the XML before the renaming in Final Cut, and then again after.

I hope someone has a solution for this. ;-)

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 8, 2016 at 5:43:59 pm

I don't necessarily recommend it, but if you reveal a clip in the finder while FCP X is running, you can rename it right there and X will still have it's hooks into it. You can also move the file as well and X will keep track of it as long as the app is running. FCP legacy was the same way. If you trashed a bunch of files in the finder while the app was running, it would simply follow them to the trash and link to them there. It doesn't knock them offline.

But renaming original camera files just seems like a bad idea. It's breaking a connection to the original card backups isn't it?

Return to posts index

Andreas Zeitler
on Mar 8, 2016 at 7:30:02 pm

That's not a feature of Final Cut. This is what the operating system does by itself. As far as I know the system keeps a file ID record for each file. Renaming a file doesn't cause the system to generate a new ID for it.

To make your argument valid, the files themselves would have their content to be different. You can still check their MD5. If it's still the same, the file is still the same. A typical diff algorithm will tell you what's actually changed.

I personally don't see the point to have my files being named in an ugly way. Every time I see someone putting a _ in a filename a kitten dies. We're on modern computer systems, and we don't need those anymore.

But that leads way too far off my original question. I just want to press a button in Final Cut, and the files to be renamed on the disk. That's it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]