FORUMS: list search recent posts

MultiCam Audio in El Capitan

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Don Smith
MultiCam Audio in El Capitan
on Feb 20, 2016 at 11:51:29 am

I swear this worked fine on Yosemite. But not working properly under El Capitan unless someone can point out what I'm doing wrong.

Among my clips that I make into a Multicam is a 2-shot. The audio of the left person into channel one of the camera and the audio of the right person into channel two.

What I like to do is make the MultiCam and then duplicate the 2-shot so I have two identical angles. On the upper duplicate I disable all audio except channel one and on the lower duplicate I turn off all but channel two.

Now, I can switch between the two to isolate the sound of the person speaking without changing the shot. In reality, I AM changing the shot but you can't see it since I'm switching between angles that are visually identical.

There are moments when the two on-camea people talk over each other. No problem, I just expand the audio and drag the audio of one over the audio of the other to cover that brief time when both people are speaking. Otherwise, the audio of each person is isolated so that the room tone off the other mic (the person not speaking) is not present. Cleaner audio!

I did this while working with the Yosemite operating system. I swear! But this technique does not work well under El Cap.

I can pre-set the audio channels of the browser listing of the MultiCam for those two angles yet when I put the MC into the timeline and try to switch between them ALL channels are selected and I am unable to play the MC until a period of rendering the audio. This process repeats on all cuts.

I've tried all methods of pre-selecting the audio channels I want; in the Browser MC, from the timeline, and anything else I can think of.

Anyone running into this?

Return to posts index

Don Smith
Re: MultiCam Audio in El Capitan
on Feb 20, 2016 at 12:54:13 pm

More information: The audio rendering problem for the MultiCam clip is constantly present even without trying to change angles. No problem with single clips. Just the MC. I mean, if I just zoom in on the MC and then CMD-Z to see the whole timeline the audio has to render again for a while.

I'm on the latest Mac Pro with the latest OS and the latest version of FCPX. I have the D700 graphic cards and 64GB of RAM. In shorter words, the equipment, OS, and app are all the latest plus plenty of RAM.

No audio render problem in normal editing. None. The audio rendering problem is only with a MultiCam clip.

NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index

Don Smith
on Feb 21, 2016 at 11:17:37 am

FOUND THE PROBLEM!

I had added a denoise audio filter to clips that went inside the MultiCam clip.

My theory is that adding the filter (probably any audio filter) to the clip UNIFIES the sound channels inside that clip so that they can no longer appear independently if you were to step inside the clip (open the clip in its own timeline).

If the audio clips are BLUE when you open a clip in its own timeline they are unified (my term). When they are GREEN, then they can be individually deleted and otherwise manipulated. Plus, trying to edit a MultiCam clip when it's clips inside are embedded with an audio filter that unifies the audio channels is a NIGHTMARE that caused my MultiCam edit to pause to re-rending audio with every angle change while editing the MultiCam clip.

Don Smith
NewsVideo.com

NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Feb 21, 2016 at 6:13:08 pm

Are you not utilizing "show audio components" ? That's how I'd be going about it.

Return to posts index

Don Smith
on Feb 22, 2016 at 11:08:13 am

Looking at the audio components is exactly what I'm talking about.

For a sequence of events I haven't fully understood yet, those components turned blue. Normally, I like to step into a clip and, looking at the audio components, delete the channels that have no use. Or, in the case of duplicating a clip, delete all audio components except for one of the two people on camera, and on the copy, delete all audio components except for the other person speaking.

That way, I can switch Audio/Video between the two angles to switch the audio without changing the picture. Then it's easy to drop down the audio of one angle to pull the end over the other angle where the two people will momentarily speak at the same time. Otherwise, only one (active) mic is open at a time thus reducing the room the non-needed mic introduces.

Right now, I've solved the problem by removing the audio filter that was on a clip inside the multicam but I can't reverse the process and see the audio components turn blue as I had seen before. However, I can replicate the halting, constantly re-rendering audio playback problems by putting the audio filter back on the clip inside the MultiCam. I didn't want to say the name of the audio filter before but it appears that it's the only one giving me this problem so I'll tell you it is CrumplePop's DeNoise filter. I love this audio filter and use it all the time without a problem outside of a MultiCam clip. I had used it inside the MC because I like to condition the clips to edit in right the first time without having to treat the clips individually in the timeline.

I may have more information later today after I return to work and see the original MC edit.

NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]