FORUMS: list search recent posts

Stuttering Playback with BMD A/V Output on

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chad Smith
Stuttering Playback with BMD A/V Output on
on Feb 16, 2016 at 5:10:03 pm

This has been happening for some time and seems to come and go. Most on my projects are ProRes 422, or I optimize H.264 files in FCPX. I find that the stuttering will stop once I stop outputting to the BMD Mini Monitor. Then FCPX runs very smoothly. Running Desktop Video 10.5 now. Have had this issue in previous versions as well. Wondering if an AJA T-Tap would give better performance. If I change to "better performance" in X there is either no change or things get worse. Once I turn off AV output to the BMD things run much better.

Yes timeline is the same FPS as the BMD setting in Desktop Video.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Stuttering Playback with BMD A/V Output on
on Feb 16, 2016 at 5:22:41 pm

This problem seems to have gotten much worse with the 10.2.3 update.

I have the same issue, also wondering if AJA is any better.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Feb 16, 2016 at 6:34:43 pm

I'm BMD and haven't seen any stuttering issues. Buttload of crashes though. I dropped back to the previous Desktop and the crashes dropped by 75%. Still the occasional once or twice per day. But better than the 10 or so.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 16, 2016 at 7:09:39 pm

What frame rate do you guys mostly work in?

23.98 for me.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Feb 16, 2016 at 7:16:37 pm

29.97 or 23.98. Occasionally 1080i if I'm incorporating interlaced footage.

You need to make sure the BMD is set the same as your sequence of course. Not just frame rate.

Return to posts index

Chad Smith
on Feb 16, 2016 at 7:31:23 pm

23.98 most of the time.

Yep I always make sure my project aka sequence has the same settings as those in BMD video desktop before launching X.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 16, 2016 at 7:42:42 pm

My settings always match (I wish we could bring back the days of not having to quit FCP in order to change the video out settings).

Since I don't usually work outside of 23.98, I am just wondering if it's a frame rate issue with blackmagic.

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Feb 16, 2016 at 8:46:13 pm

Interesting thread... I have a BMD mini monitor and never change it to match my project resolution or frame rate. Most of my projects are 25p.

I just recently did a clean install of my Mac Pro, specifically to test if the BMD drivers were doing anything to slow down or cause problems in FCPX. I edited three days with no BMD drivers and three days using the mini monitor, but for me at least, there wasn't any difference to playback or reliability ithat I could see.

Perhaps I'm just lucky I get to use 25p...

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer | Southern Creative Media | Melbourne Australia
http://www.southerncreative.com.au | G+: http://gplus.to/jeffkirkland | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Feb 17, 2016 at 12:49:46 am

The bigger problem is when o leave it on 24p and then I work on a 30p project. Stuff gets stuttery since there's really no good way to get there from here.

If I'm jumping around between 24, 60 and 30 then I leave it at 1080i which accommodates all 3.

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Feb 17, 2016 at 4:43:50 pm

I'm still on 10.2.2 and have always seen playback issues with the Blackmagic Ultrastudio Express (I didn't start using FCPX until July of last year so can't compare performance with earlier versions). My boss uses an AJA card and has seen similar issues.

The issue is that I press play it might play back great, or it might stutter and buffer for a couple of seconds before the video playback on my monitor catches up with the timeline. It's intermittent and inconsistent. When I see it start to stutter I just stop playback, back it up to where I originally hit play and it seems to do better the 2nd or 3rd time.

My output settings always match my timeline, which is 1080p ProRes 23.976 for 99% of my work. I'm running Blackmagic drivers 10.4.3. I tried updating to the latest version (10.5.4) but would crash constantly. Rolled my drivers back and it's much more stable in regards to hard crashing, but the intermittent playback instability is still there. If I turn off the A/V Output FCPX is smooth as butter and has no playback issues. Something is amiss, and I'm bummed to hear it's even worse with 10.2.3.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Feb 18, 2016 at 2:28:56 pm

I assume everyone is talking about a fully rendered timeline? There are just too many factors to contemplate if it's un rendered. Keeping things in better performance mode and not wearing your glasses also tends to smooth things out a bit.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 18, 2016 at 6:32:02 pm

[Bret Williams] "I assume everyone is talking about a fully rendered timeline?"

Fully rendered, or with no effects (no need to render).

Return to posts index

Chad Smith
on Feb 18, 2016 at 6:52:56 pm

DITTO

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Feb 18, 2016 at 6:56:47 pm

Same here. I see it on timelines without effects. Just plain old ProRes media.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Feb 18, 2016 at 8:12:57 pm

I'm mostly editing 4K ProRes on either a 4K or 1080p timeline so prefect playback is rendered. Unrendered playback is a little choppy but acceptable - although it can take a couple of seconds for playback to ramp up and smooth out, which I put down to a slowish hard drive.

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer | Southern Creative Media | Melbourne Australia
http://www.southerncreative.com.au | G+: http://gplus.to/jeffkirkland | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Feb 18, 2016 at 8:20:38 pm

[Jeff Kirkland] " it can take a couple of seconds for playback to ramp up and smooth out, which I put down to a slowish hard drive."

My hard drive is a Promise2 R6 with read and write speeds over 500MB both ways and I see this issue with playback needing to ramp up too. But to me it's unacceptable. When I hit play, it needs to play. It's an NLE, after all, and when clients are in the room it gets a little old having to start playback several times before it plays back smoothly, instantly.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 18, 2016 at 10:34:09 pm

I am on a 900MB/sec fibre channel SAN. It doesn't seem to be disk speed here either.

If I turn off A/V Output, things speed up tremendously.

Return to posts index

Chad Smith
on Feb 18, 2016 at 11:02:00 pm

Is anyone using an I/O device that is not thunderbolt and getting this issue?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]