FORUMS: list search recent posts

Multicam audio editing - multiple tracks on one angle hassle

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Woodhead
Multicam audio editing - multiple tracks on one angle hassle
on Feb 8, 2016 at 2:44:04 am

Anyone have a good technique for editing audio in a multicam, where there's multiple tracks from one camera? EG; 3 camera, 2 person interview, mic'd with 2 lavs into one camera. Need to cut between tracks in one angle. Of course, the easiest approach is to record mics to different cameras so you can use the multicam tools. But if it's on one cam, only workaround I've got is to copy/paste an audio track prior to editing into the main timeline.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Multicam audio editing - multiple tracks on one angle hassle
on Feb 8, 2016 at 3:10:32 am

I'm not quite seeing the problem. Can you post a screenshot of the angle editor setup? You can switch audio or video only.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops

Return to posts index

Bob Woodhead
on Feb 8, 2016 at 2:57:11 pm

I don't think screenshot will help explain. Let me see if I can clarify...

2 audio channels, lav mics, into one camera

3 camera interview setup (2 singles, one 2-shot)

cameras 2 & 3 just have scratch track audio

So cut video only in the multicam, audio is from the one camera that has the 2 lav mics, on discreet channels.

Issue; depending on the room, mic distance, etc, it can be necessary to "mute" one or the other mic channel in order to get the best sound from the other. (By mute, I mean dipping the level, cutting the track, etc.)

Problems: the multicam editor doesn't allow you to target discreet audio tracks from an angle. Also, in the angle editor, with an angle that has multiple mono tracks, you cannot expand the audio into discreet tracks. On top of which, there's no match frame into the angle editor! So even if you could access the individual audio tracks from a single angle, it'd be a real PIA to locate the parts you need to adjust.

There's some other issues as well, but it'd just confuse the picture even further.

I posted in the hopes I'm missing something, because this really is a huge fail within X.

Return to posts index

Bob Woodhead
on Feb 8, 2016 at 3:08:40 pm

Had a thought that maybe it'd be possible to detach audio from the angle that has multiple mono tracks, but that command is greyed out in the angle editor.

I suppose you could duplicate the angle, enabling only 1 audio channel in each duplicate. That'd be a total PIA editing.

As for my workaround of recording each mic to a different camera, suppose you need more than one open at a time? Fail again.

Annoying. Hope someone has a lightbulb for this.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Feb 8, 2016 at 7:44:08 pm
Last Edited By Noah Kadner on Feb 8, 2016 at 7:50:04 pm

Assuming the audio was recorded discretely into channel 1/2 on the main camera- i.e. is not a stereo mix, then you should be able to access the audio components on your Project timeline.

Do this by selecting the Multicam clip, then Clip>Expand Audio Components. You'll then see a representation of all channels in the currently active audio angle.

Assuming you switch only video and leave the audio from the camera that has the lav/other input as the "Active Audio Angle."

My suggestion would be to do a first pass for video switch only with both channels on. Then when you have the picture switch as desired, go back into the audio components and set the levels as you wish. And remember audio component edits can extend beyond the video cut point. So you should be able to do this all without any sort of detaching of audio/mucking directly in the angle editor.

For a much more detailed explanation-

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow

Return to posts index

Bob Woodhead
on Feb 8, 2016 at 9:52:58 pm

Well dang, Noah, that's all you needed to say! I simply never thought of trying to expand the audio in the main timeline. Doh. Didn't even bother watching the MacBreak. I'd been trying to work it backwards for some reason.

Easy As Pie.

OK, loving the multicam editor again. Hating my stupidity.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Feb 8, 2016 at 11:18:29 pm

And knowing is half the battle.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow

Return to posts index

Don Smith
on Feb 19, 2016 at 9:32:09 pm

I work with two tracks of audio on one camera in a multicam all the time. Most often, I have a wide two-shot and the mic/guy on the left goes to Channel 1 and the mic/guy on the right goes to Channel 2.

I simply duplicate the angle! One copy of the angle I modify to have only the left audio and the other angle only has the right audio enabled.

Now, I can cut using the Audio/Video mode and the audio track will change but what you see won't even though you're seeing video on the duplicate clip now. Really simplies things.

So, what happens when the two guys briefly talk over each other? I double click on the MC edit in the timeline to make the audio track pop out and I extend the audio of one side of the edit over the part of the other side where both are talking at the same time.

Using this method lets me easily avoid having both mic's up at the same time which would add room tone to the final audio.

Don Smith - NewsVideo.com

NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]