FORUMS: list search recent posts

Adding files to the time line

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ty Ford
Adding files to the time line
on Feb 1, 2016 at 2:27:26 pm

Hi,

As I continue a meander up the learning curve of FCP X, meaning "I'll learn that when I need it", I ran into a curiosity. Maybe you can help.

I was making a video for a webnar; audio and PowerPoint slides. Sequencing the audio clips was very easy. As I pulled each new one in the end of the previous one lit up and I could easily snap the new audio clip into place.

The slides, however, were not so obliging. I had to zoom in and out to make sure I had each one just at the border. Is there a preference or control that would make visual clips respond the same way as the audio clips?

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Adding files to the time line
on Feb 1, 2016 at 5:36:09 pm
Last Edited By Mark Suszko on Feb 1, 2016 at 5:37:20 pm

Turn "snapping" on?

Or do you mean, making the slides fit the frame without distorting, in which case, under the video inspector, near the bottom is a choice of "fit" or "fill".

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Feb 1, 2016 at 5:59:09 pm

[Ty Ford] "Is there a preference or control that would make visual clips respond the same way as the audio clips?"
Clips behave differently depending on whether they are on the Primary or a Secondary Storyline than if they are just Connected clips. Without knowing which clip is which it would be hard to say but I'm guessing that your audio might be on your primary storyline which gives it the behavior of snapping without leaving gaps and your slides are just connected clips.

Here are two suggested workflows:

(1) Place the slides on the primary storyline. You will then need to manually align the audio but this will ensure that there are no gaps between slides since a break in video is much more distracting than a break in audio which is not as critical.

(2) Create Compound Clips ⌥G from both the slide and it's audio. This will allow you to edit them in their own timeline to align them. Then when you drop the compound clip on the primary storyline, both the video and audio will be included and snapped with no gaps.

If you already have other video in your primary storyline and both the video and audio are connected clips, the compound clip method might work well in a secondary storyline that's connected to the primary storyline. If this isn't clear, perhaps a screen shot of your timeline might help explain what your project looks like and what you are after.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 1, 2016 at 6:10:32 pm

Not sure what you mean exactly, but if you're putting your slides outside of the primary, consider putting them in a secondary storyline where appropriate.

If you do that, you have full on control when adding the clips. For instance, if you need to put a slide right after another slide, select the "shelf" of the secondary storyline (which is the thick bar that signifies the secondary "container"), select your slide in the Browser, and hit the 'E' key. This will put the next slide at the end of the selected storyline. Insert (w) and overwrite (d) edits also work, but will follow the position of your skimmer and playhead in that order (skimmer takes position priority over the playhead).

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Feb 1, 2016 at 8:38:30 pm
Last Edited By Noah Kadner on Feb 1, 2016 at 8:39:03 pm

Also it wouldn't be a bad idea to reformat the slides first in a graphics editor to fit your exact frame size. Not sure how you exported from Powerpoint but generally it comes out at weird sizes not exactly conforming to broadcast frames. I usually just recreate the slide graphics entirely when I have to convert a slideshow into video so I can make them look more interesting than they did as static slides.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP eXchange - FCPX Workshops

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Feb 1, 2016 at 11:36:11 pm

Thanks Jeremy,

In this case the slides are the primary "video", with changes as necessary.

It's apparent I need to know more about the containers!

Thanks very much. I figured there was a system of sorts at play, but it was not as obvious as Mac/Apple GUIs used to be.

Then again, what is?

Regards,

Ty

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]