FORUMS: list search recent posts

7D/5D color grading in FCPX

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Flora Lloyd
7D/5D color grading in FCPX
on Jan 29, 2016 at 6:38:05 pm

A little intro on me, I am new to editing myself (though I have been a producer and shooter for years) This is my first project sitting down in front of FCPX.

I am having a very hard time color grading this project. I'm finding the 7D footage is absolutely terrible, but this is besides the point because I can't re-shoot the project, and I just need the two scenes to match in color.

Here is the 7D sample 9724_screenshot20160129at10.24.11am.png.zip

Here is the 5D sample 9725_screenshot20160129at10.24.20am.png.zip

I'm looking for advice on how to proceed, or a suggestion of a plug-in that can aid me in correcting this color.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: 7D/5D color grading in FCPX
on Jan 29, 2016 at 10:20:01 pm

I highly recommend Color Grading Cetnral's FREE FCPX grading tutorials. Nearly an hour and half of free training should get you going.
http://www.colorgradingcentral.com/tutorials/

And if you want to move on to more advanced features such as using curves you may want to buy their Color Finale plugin.

Return to posts index

Flora Lloyd
on Jan 29, 2016 at 10:23:10 pm

Thanks Craig,

I downloaded Color Finale and it would constantly crash my machine. I'm working on a Macbook Pro with 16 gigs of ram.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 29, 2016 at 11:26:35 pm
Last Edited By Craig Seeman on Jan 29, 2016 at 11:39:58 pm

Perhaps you're not on Yosemite (10.11.x)?

You can use the color board and follow their tutorials for that in the meantime.

I believe their specs are in the FAQ
http://www.colorgradingcentral.com/support/

What are the minimum system requirements?
Apple Mac (2011+)
OS X 10.10 "Yosemite" officially supported
OpenCL 1.2 support. For a list of OpenCL 1.2 cards click here.
Final Cut Pro X 10.1 or later
4 GB of RAM

Return to posts index

Flora Lloyd
on Jan 30, 2016 at 4:06:27 am

I'm running Yosemite 10.10.5 and have the NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 512 MB which says Open CL 1.1 support, but not 1.2, that could possibly be the crash issue? Could I run an external card to get around this?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 30, 2016 at 6:43:33 am

[Flora Lloyd] "NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 512 MB which says Open CL 1.1"

Cards and Open CL
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202823
NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M says CL 1.2 so that should be fine.

See Color Finale keeps crashing FCP X. There are some things that can conflict with it so you should send them the crash log.
http://www.colorgradingcentral.com/support/

In the meantime you should watch their Free FCPX tutorial which just uses the built in color board.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jan 30, 2016 at 12:27:58 am

Hi Flora.

One small issue is that nothing of significance in either of your two camera shots reads as neutral.

This is part of the reason for using a professional SLATE at the beginning of scenes - slates typically have dependable white color blocks that you can use to get a starting point for a color balance under the lighting each camera is exposed to.

A couple of "quick fix" possibilities is if you can find a shot where the talent's face is in close up - and try to grab a white level off the whites of his eyes - or maybe his teeth - but It's not at all as dependable since those can be "off white" as well - - (stuff like exposure to jaundice can yellow the whites of the eyes and early childhood exposure to some old style antibiotics can leave people with yellowed teeth - to name just two amongst a zillion other possiblities - but it's at least a start.

If none of that is possible, you can call up your Vectorscope and take a reading off the "flesh tone" marker = (the diagonal line in the upper right quadrant) and look at whether it's obviously skewed - but again, it's MUCH harder without any pure content in the scene and without a white reference shot by both the cameras under the on-set conditions. Plus your set is all pretty warm in terms of the colors in play = and your talent looks like he skews a bit "ruddy" - which can take a bit of work to address in post.

This is kinda why the era of "everybody can shoot - everybody can produce" leads to so many post hassles.

What you're facing would have been MUCH easier to correct if whoever shot this had a higher level of technical production competence and given you the tools IN the shot to provide you with a color balance baseline.

But it's the world we live in.

Good luck.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Flora Lloyd
on Jan 30, 2016 at 4:11:37 am

Thanks for the advice Bill, right now it's a learning process for me with editing so any feedback is appreciated.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jan 30, 2016 at 4:57:54 pm

Just saw that I wrote the skin tone vector on a vector-scope is upper right when of course it's upper left.
Momentary lapse of reason.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Tony West
on Jan 31, 2016 at 2:46:54 pm

Flora, I think that the original shots looked a little orange to me on his skin tones.

In most cases there is a dominate color that puts the shot off. Sometimes it's red or yellow, I will often go to the color board and drag the highlights over to that color and pull it down.

In this case I wanted to see what X would do on it's own with a simple "color balance"

It did a pretty good.

To me, the X color balance left a bit of a blue tone that I took out by dragging a color correction filter on top and pulling that blue down a bit and a little less red.

I pulled a little of the saturation down a bit.

and brought down the blacks a little.

Once I got the WS where I wanted it I pasted the attributes to the TS. I'm sure others may have different techniques but that's my 2 cents : )

Return to posts index

Flora Lloyd
on Jan 31, 2016 at 5:43:48 pm

Thank you Tony, you're input is very helpful! I will follow your suggestion above, this is where I got to yesterday with my correction, which probably is still a bit warm compared to yours.

I did something similar to your suggestion, but then also used the RT Color Balance which I found really easy to use. I find the color correction a little overwhelming because of the options available, and after watching the tutorials I have a much better understanding of what each scope is used for and how it can help in your correction process.

Return to posts index

Tony West
on Jan 31, 2016 at 7:36:54 pm

That's looking very good Flora, well done : )

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jan 31, 2016 at 11:36:04 pm

Hey Tony.
I talked a little about your doc workflow on Richard Taylor's latest FCP X Radio Show. About 35 min in to the chat.
http://FCPRadio.com/FCPRadio.xml
Mostly about your approach to keywording.
Just in case you want to check it out.

Return to posts index

Tony West
on Feb 1, 2016 at 4:02:13 pm

Thanks for the shout out Bill. I found the show very interesting, good job on there.

I liked your point about looking at 'who" would be working on the project before you decide how to KW.

If it's just you or a group of folks.

I was really happy with my organization during that doc. I never found myself looking for anything that I knew I had.

The Doc has really been well received. I just left Cincinnati last week for the Fernald workers and I will be coming out to Santa Fe for Los Alamos next.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]