FORUMS: list search recent posts

multicam taking aaaaaaaages.....still

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Sefton
multicam taking aaaaaaaages.....still
on Jan 27, 2016 at 10:28:22 am

Hi,

Had this problem intermittently before and it is now getting really frustrating.

FCPX 10.2.2 on a new mac pro that is maxed out for performance is taking aaaaaages to generate a multicam sequence. More than 10 minutes.

2 4k R3d files at 4K UHD, with a 1080p prores and an external audio file.

Sometimes it does it in seconds. Yesterday and today I am getting miles behind my deadlines because FCPX is running so slow.

Does anyone out there have any ideas because apple tech support have so far been totally useless.

Thanks!

Co-owner at Pollen Studio
http://www.pollenstudio.co.uk

Return to posts index

Joe Marler
Re: multicam taking aaaaaaaages.....still
on Jan 27, 2016 at 11:11:16 am

If you are syncing based on audio waveform, this can vary considerably. One step to faster and more reliable multicam sync by audio is ensure each camera is named in the metadata:

(1) In Event Browser at top left select List View (it's the button above the red X at left)
(2) In Event Browser, click on clip name to sort by name. All the clips from each camera should be grouped together.
(3) Select a group of clips from one camera (Click on 1st, go to last and Shift-click).
(4) In Inspector at upper right, click on Info button. If Inspector pane is not on, turn it on with Window>Show Inspector
(5) At bottom of Inspector Pane, click the drop-down box and select "General". This shows more details.
(6) In the Inspector Pane, enter a unique camera name. When you press Enter it will add that camera name to all the clips you have selected in a single step.
(7) Repeat step 4 and 7 for each camera.
(8) In Event Browser, select all clips from all the cameras you added camera name info to.
(9) Right-click on the selected group and select "New Multicam Clip", then set checkbox "use audio for synchronization"

Return to posts index

Tom Sefton
on Jan 27, 2016 at 12:02:07 pm

Thanks Joe - big help.

I'll give this a go.

Return to posts index

Bob Woodhead
on Jan 27, 2016 at 12:47:30 pm

To tack on to Joe's suggestion, in the make multicam dialogue, Angle Assembly would then be set to Camera Name. I've always assigned camera angle in metadata instead, but it shouldn't matter which you choose.

And if there's an angle that is problematic for whatever reason, you can manually set a marker at a sync point on each clip in the mult, and then use that as the sync selection. I've needed to do that a couple of times in the past. Annoying, but it works well.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jan 31, 2016 at 5:37:19 am

Just to pile on... make absolutely sure you don't have a rogue sample rate in some camera - or a lot of blank multi-channel audio tracks hidden in your clips.

Both these can make audio processing slow to a crawl.

Good luck.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Tom Sefton
on Mar 3, 2016 at 11:07:12 am

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the tips with this - I found that the best workflow was tagging everything for camera angle and camera name, and then adding markers to the clapperboard for each angle before creating the multicam.

One weird thing I am experiencing though, is that due to working on location, I'm working on a Macbook Pro (old 2012 version with 8GB RAM and r3d and ProRes files located on same 48TB thunderbolt RAID).

The performance of building multicam files is way faster. Like 4-5 times faster on Macbook Pro than on a new Mac Pro.

It plays back 4K r3d files in realtime which is stunning, and allows realtime cutting between audio. Brilliant.

Obviously exporting and effects are much slower, but this is an odd occurrence after spending another £7.5 each on 2 more Mac Pros when some MacBooks or even iMac might have done the job just as well for an edit assistant.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]