FORUMS: list search recent posts

Color difference between FCP and AE (Adobe products in general)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Paunovich
Color difference between FCP and AE (Adobe products in general)
on Jan 22, 2016 at 10:57:43 pm

I believe this is a common issue, but not sure how to resolve it. I did a subtle grade to some footage in FCPX - just adjusting contrast and upping the saturation. I export it out to ProRes to do title work in AE and the footage looks more contrasty AND saturated than what I am getting in FCPX and Quicktime. Same happens when I bring it into Premiere.

I believe this is a gamma issue, but I don't know how to resolve it.

I had this happen last year when creating motion graphics in AE. I used my client's specified blue color and when I brought the clips into FCPX to edit them together the blue was lighter in color. I was able to get around that by exporting a TIFF sequence.

Any idea how I can have my color (gamma?) consistent when bouncing back and forth?

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: Color difference between FCP and AE (Adobe products in general)
on Jan 23, 2016 at 1:26:34 am

[Mike Paunovich] "Any idea how I can have my color (gamma?) consistent when bouncing back and forth?"

The only valid judgement of color/brightness/contrast/gamma is through an external i/o to a calibrated broadcast display. Sorry.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Mike Paunovich
on Jan 23, 2016 at 1:37:39 am

I appreciate your sentiment, but even a colorblind person could tell the difference without the need of such equipment.

whoever controls your perception of reality.. controls you.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jan 23, 2016 at 1:56:08 am

[Mike Paunovich] "but even a colorblind person could tell the difference without the need of such equipment"

You missed my point. You asked about how to make them match, not about seeing that there was a difference.

Generally software applications playing through a viewer to a computer display will not look consistent with each other. However, they will (or should) look correct and consistent on an external display.

I know of nothing you can do to make the video look exactly the same in Premiere Pro versus FCPX when judging by the viewer image. Nor Resolve or QT or VLC either. The best you can hope for is that Premiere matches AE and that FCPX matches Motion and maybe QT Player.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jan 23, 2016 at 1:58:50 am

PS: Out of curiosity, when you roundtrip from FCPX to AE and back to FCPX, does the round-tripped file match the original in FCPX?

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]