FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVD to FCPX to Stream

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Clayton Brown
DVD to FCPX to Stream
on Jan 21, 2016 at 6:22:10 pm

Okay, so first off sorry if this is the wrong place for this post. Best I could figure.

So we are in the midst of taking our store of over 60 full length DVDs onto the streaming market. We will only need to worry about uploading .mp4 files as the system we're using (vdocipher), does the transcoding for multiple devices.

Anyhow, here's where we are looking for advice: Our first attempt was this:
1. Rip DVD with Handbrake
2. import the newly made .mov into final cut
3. create new projects for each chapter & export one by one (to .mov)
(we are uploading and will be streaming the individual chapters on a playlist)
4. Convert those exported files via handbrake to mp4.

We are looking at the side by side and of course the output file is far worse in quality.

New plan, use MPEG streamclip to rip the DVD, then continue on with steps 2-4 above.

Before I purchase the MPEG-2 Playback for 29.99 for 3 different machines (90 bucks!), I was hoping to possibly double check that I am in fact, most likely, doing this wrong and there is a much better way.

Thanks so much in advance -

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: DVD to FCPX to Stream
on Jan 21, 2016 at 8:05:03 pm

I take it you don't have access to anything other than the DVD masters?

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Jan 21, 2016 at 8:16:00 pm

I'm not 100% sure why Handbrake gave you a worse quality end result. I haven't used it I a while but I remember the results being really good. I'd double check your encoding settings before you start looking at new workflows.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 21, 2016 at 9:12:10 pm

It's true, you do need to crank up the settings in Handbrake.

But, the nice thing about Streamclip, Especially since you need to reencode again (rip the movie, make edits, then reexport) is that you can go straight to ProRes which will be lossless-ier. Is that a word?

You will lose less by going MPEG2 to ProRes to mp4, than going MPEG2 to mp4, then back to mp4 with Handbrake.

Just my opinion, Handbrake does offer good options, but you have to modify the presets if your planning on doing further encoding.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Clayton Brown
on Jan 21, 2016 at 8:18:49 pm

For the 60 in question that is correct. Only DVD masters to work with.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 21, 2016 at 8:20:19 pm

Bummer.

As far as I know, you don't need to buy the MPEG2 plug anymore. Simply download Streamclip and have at it.

Return to posts index

Clayton Brown
on Jan 21, 2016 at 8:26:54 pm

Already did.

Tried to run it and upon attempting to export; was prompted to purchase the add on and given the link to do so.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 21, 2016 at 8:36:49 pm

Strange.

I can run it just fine without the MPEG2 component on OS 10.10.5

Are you trying to rip straight from the DVD or do you have the VIDEO_TS folder on a hard drive?

Return to posts index

Clayton Brown
on Jan 21, 2016 at 9:36:02 pm

Although I am riping straight from DVD I do have the option to access the VIDEO_TS folder from the DVD directly.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 21, 2016 at 9:38:06 pm

Try dragging one of the VOBs on a hard drive right to Streamclip. What happens?

Return to posts index

Clayton Brown
on Jan 21, 2016 at 11:01:11 pm

For the current DVD I have in there are like a dozen VOB files... dont think that will be viable.. However, I just found that I only have to purchase the extension one time, then I can log in and download it on all three machines.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 21, 2016 at 11:02:28 pm

Streamclip should recognize the string of VOB files and ask if you want to add as DVD.

Return to posts index

Clayton Brown
on Jan 22, 2016 at 12:05:44 am

Negative - Still get prompted with the need to purchase the add on

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 22, 2016 at 12:23:47 am

Do you have Final Cut Studio 3 installed?

If not, that might be the difference. You may have to spend the money or work on Handbrake.

Return to posts index

Clayton Brown
on Jan 25, 2016 at 11:41:33 pm

No, just FCPX -

So after a few days and nearly 4 hours on the phone with apple I have finally come to realize that MPEG Streamclip will not work with my machine as I cannot install the $20 MPEG 2 compentent for quick time. However, it appears that qucktime x already has the compentent built in so I really dont know what the heck. I just know im over it.

Has anyone had any success with any of the other DVD to Apple Pro Res converter software out there?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]