FORUMS: list search recent posts

External media management. (being lazy & asking instead of researching)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Woodhead
External media management. (being lazy & asking instead of researching)
on Jan 20, 2016 at 9:55:35 pm

My brain hurts today, so I'm just going to through this out here & see if someone has a quick answer.

I have a broll library, media stored externally from library file. There's some old material scattered through a couple TBs of video, and trying to think of a fast way to prune (delete) those files via the X interface. Reveal in Finder would be painful.

Ideas? Aspirin?

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: External media management. (being lazy & asking instead of researching)
on Jan 21, 2016 at 12:23:13 am

Can't delete files that are externally linked via the interface. It's a fail safe so you don't delete media that could be in use by another library.

Return to posts index

Bob Woodhead
on Jan 21, 2016 at 1:36:43 am

Harrumph. I want the option to fail, spectacularly.

Maybe I'll write an Applescript... takes as input an XML export from clips put in a "burn bag" keyword collection. parses the XML for "src name=foo", then passes result to a Finder action that trashes the files.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jan 21, 2016 at 4:07:15 am

Could simply make a new Library, store within and drag all clips you do want from Finder. Then blow away everything else.

Or just get a bigger HD...

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP eXchange - FCPX Workshops

Return to posts index

Bob Woodhead
on Jan 21, 2016 at 2:06:47 pm

As to HDD space, this is a broll library that often travels with me, so I try to keep it to a reasonable size, like under 4TB.

Bouncing libraries, it'd be a lot of file pushing just to delete maybe 1-5% of the total. And it's something I'd like to do on a regular basis... add new footage that's better than old stuff, delete old stuff while importing the new. More likely to keep up with it if it's an easy process.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jan 21, 2016 at 11:26:03 pm

can't you just delete the files you don't want in the finder? why would it take any longer than doing it in FC even if you could do it? then in fc delete the ones that are now off line???

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Doug Metz
on Jan 21, 2016 at 11:34:57 pm

[Craig Alan] "can't you just delete the files you don't want in the finder? why would it take any longer than doing it in FC even if you could do it? then in fc delete the ones that are now off line???"

Here's what I'm thinking - if you've already got the files (thousands of them, probably, in hundreds of folders/subfolders) in an externally-managed Library, it would be far easier to find the ones you don't want in FCPX. Use filmstrip view with the skimmer and a Keyword shortcut, and you'll go through those directories far, far faster. Then export the XML for that particular Keyword collection, and run the script to dig into all those folders to extract the unwanted and move 'em to the trash.

Bingo!

Doug Metz

Anode

Return to posts index

Bob Woodhead
on Jan 21, 2016 at 11:45:59 pm

Exactly this is why.

Return to posts index

Doug Metz
on Jan 21, 2016 at 10:54:02 pm

I like where your head is at... perfect job for AS. Mark over at Late Night Software has a free XML osax that may prove useful:

http://www.latenightsw.com/freeware/xml-tools/

Doug Metz

Anode

Return to posts index

Bob Woodhead
on Jan 21, 2016 at 11:48:30 pm
Last Edited By Bob Woodhead on Jan 21, 2016 at 11:48:15 pm

If I get around to writing a script for this, I'll use the keyword CRF in homage to the old Quantel term. Cutting Room Floor.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]