FORUMS: list search recent posts

My video is over 24 hours - Compressor does not seem to be able to give an accurate estimated file size

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew Stumpf
My video is over 24 hours - Compressor does not seem to be able to give an accurate estimated file size
on Jan 12, 2016 at 9:41:29 pm

My FCPX project (converted analog footage @ 720x480 is a total time of 27:37:26:04.
My goal has been to fit this onto one 50GB BluRay disc.

The FCPX project reads 03:37:26:04 because the FCPX clock starts over at 24 hours.

The project has an estimated file size of 20.92GB in Compresor. This can't be right.
I attempted burning the disc onto a 25GB disc and it only made it through 4 hours of footage before filling the disc. My first thought was that compressor was using the 03:37:26:04 time for the estimated file size but I get the same estimated file size when I change FCPX settings to FRAMERATE.

I would like to try different things to get the footage to fit onto the 50GB disc but with these wacky estimates from compressor, I am worried that I will be waisting discs.

Any advice?

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: My video is over 24 hours - Compressor does not seem to be able to give an accurate estimated file size
on Jan 12, 2016 at 10:03:36 pm

Are you trying to create an HD BluRay disc or are you creating a video file and burning it to a data disc? Is your project SD?

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
Re: My video is over 24 hours - Compressor does not seem to be able to give an accurate estimated file size
on Jan 12, 2016 at 11:07:35 pm

I'm not sure it can be done as a playable BD. The only way to fit that length of footage would be to use settings outside anything that's valid for BD playback.

As a h264 file, you might try installing the x264 quicktime component and trying that in compress but by my guesstimate, the bitrate would be so low, the image would be unwatchable.

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer | Southern Creative Media | Melbourne Australia
http://www.southerncreative.com.au | G+: http://gplus.to/jeffkirkland | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Patrick Donegan
on Jan 13, 2016 at 3:54:39 am

http://www.blu-ray.com/faq/#bluray_capacity_video

1.6 How much video can you fit on a Blu-ray disc?

Over 9 hours of high-definition (HD) video on a 50GB disc.
About 23 hours of standard-definition (SD) video on a 50GB disc.

FCP X 10.2.2 - user since FCP 1.25
iMac mid 2011, MBA mid 2012
HVX-200, Shure wireless mic

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 13, 2016 at 5:21:53 am

You'd have to do the math on the bitrate.

Take the total time, convert to seconds.

Pick a decent size audio bit rate, and multiply the bitrate by the seconds, and convert to GBs from kbps.

Do the same for video, take a bitrate, multiply by the amount of seconds, and convert that to GBs.

Add the audio and video. If greater than 50GBs, lower the data rate until audio+video is less than 50GBs.

Create custom presets in compressor with those data rates.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]