FORUMS: list search recent posts

I welcome seasoned input on setting up a large project using all the FCPX bells and whistles. Advice?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Larry Watts
I welcome seasoned input on setting up a large project using all the FCPX bells and whistles. Advice?
on Jan 6, 2016 at 5:25:51 pm

I'm starting a new project going to DVD primarily and want to use all the FCPX tools for organizing this project knowing the audio will be finished in ProTools.

I'd like it to be a template for future workflows as well.

The project has an intro and close plus 12 sections in the body that will be DVD chapters that will likely be played independently. It's educational in nature. The client wants a distinct 2 second break between chapters if viewed as a whole so it seems to make sense to make 14 separate projects and then one project assembled together.

Should I create one library or 14?

I'd like to use fully embrace roles, tags, keywords, favorites etc.

The body content in the 12 sections are two people discussing an different animal in each one. The left channel is the person on the left and the right channel is the person on the right shot with a Canon C100 as an AVCHD. (I didn't shoot this as I always use a Ninja 2 and record discreet audio to my Sound Devices 664 plus boom. I will shoot 4 interviews this way.)

I hope some of you out there who are masters of organization will chime in as I hope to train some young people in this as well.

Thanks in advance!

I also plan to copy all the media into the library to make it portable and easy to backup.

Larry

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: I welcome seasoned input on setting up a large project using all the FCPX bells and whistles. Advice?
on Jan 6, 2016 at 6:27:36 pm

Definitely one Library. Is this your first FCPX project or you know the app well.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP eXchange - FCPX Workshops

Return to posts index

Larry Watts
Re: I welcome seasoned input on setting up a large project using all the FCPX bells and whistles. Advice?
on Jan 6, 2016 at 7:42:31 pm

I've done several shorter projects on it. I've done quite a bit of Lynda.com training also.

What I'm looking for is organizational workflow and strategies from more experienced users which training rarely gives you.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jan 6, 2016 at 8:22:48 pm

For something like that it would be good to know the overall length of the project, the amount of footage being acquired and how much collaboration would be required along the way. Also is production already completed or is it about to begin? That's also a key consideration as a lot of major timesaving can be achieved for post with decent pre-production workflow planning.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow

Return to posts index

Larry Watts
on Jan 6, 2016 at 8:55:52 pm

The length is about 60 minutes. only one day of production is done. There are tons of graphics both still and animated. Quite a bit of sound effects. Much research, writing and purchased footage.
Export to protools and back. Heavy editing of the outdoor scenes to make it flow. A fair amount of collaboration.

I may use roles, favorites, keywords more heavily than I need, but I want to develop a habit of using them and don't mind spending a little extra time on this project.

THX

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jan 6, 2016 at 9:02:27 pm

That sounds like something you'd highly benefit from spending a few hours 1:1 on with someone if you really want to take things to the next level. That said- if shooting is still ongoing, I'd at least suggest adding Lumberjack into the mix asap:

http://lumberjacksystem.com

Also for overall collaborative workflow- http://www.fcpworks.com/the-logic-of-sound-part-v/

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow

Return to posts index

Larry Watts
on Jan 7, 2016 at 4:28:30 pm

Why one library versus one each for each animal segment?

I'm not questioning, just wondering.

THX
Larry

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jan 7, 2016 at 6:13:15 pm

I can't see your footage from here but breaking a project across multiple libraries makes no sense unless we're talking hundreds of hours of footage. And even then if it were all related I would likely still do within a single Library for simplicity's sake.

You can organize within using Events, Keywords, Folders, Smart collections etc. Libraries are silos unto themselves and cannot share metadata. So from a purely organizational perspective, there is no benefit to breaking a job across multiple Libraries. If your concern is hard drive organization, keep the media outside the Library and you can store it anyplace you want.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow

Return to posts index

Larry Watts
on Jan 7, 2016 at 6:57:43 pm

That makes sense which is why I was asking for strategies using keywords, roles, tags etc.

I was hoping to find some industry standards rather than create my own.

THX

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Jan 7, 2016 at 1:44:46 pm
Last Edited By David Battistella on Jan 7, 2016 at 2:38:59 pm

If you are going to Protools for the Audio then you are going to want to pick up X2PRO Audio Convert to get the audio from your FCPX XML file and convert it to an AAF file for import into protools.

David

http://www.bottegabattistella.com/blog/

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]