FORUMS: list search recent posts

Where is my optimized media?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Larry Watts
Where is my optimized media?
on Jan 5, 2016 at 10:28:32 pm

Actually, I know where it is in the finder, I just don't know how to get it in my browser and timeline.

I always shoot prores 422, so I've never had to optimize media before.

I'm editing a project shot on a Canon C100 AVCHD. I import media and select optimize media. I see it transcoding in th background. At 100% I expect to see the Prores 422 clip in my media browser next to the AVCHD. I don't see it. The clip in the browser is H264, linear pcm audio.

How do I get the prores file into the browser for editing?

I'm feeling really dumb. It must be something simple.

I also don't understand the "available media representations" icons at the bottom of the info window - why is is there? Is it clickable?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Where is my optimized media?
on Jan 6, 2016 at 4:21:49 am

The inspector always reports the format of the original media not the optimized version.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP eXchange - FCPX Workshops

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jan 6, 2016 at 4:27:19 am

Highlight the library in the libraries window.

In the inspector

you choose where to store your media (library by default).

You can consolidate it there if it is in more than one place.

FC has a habit of telling you what the original codec was before you optimized it.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Larry Watts
on Jan 6, 2016 at 5:10:35 pm

Thanks to both who responded! That explains it!

I would like to have confirmation that I am in fact working with prores 422 footage, both in the library and the timeline. There must be a way to easily confirm this. How can I do this most easily?

THX again! I could have burned up HOURS trying to figure this out!

Larry

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jan 6, 2016 at 6:29:28 pm

As long as you are set to use Optimized in the Viewer you are always using the Optimized version if it exists. If it doesn't you'll see the red missing file warning in the viewer- meaning that version is either missing or wasn't generated. Really it's one of those things that just works in FCPX with little babysitting.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP eXchange - FCPX Workshops

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jan 6, 2016 at 9:48:01 pm

You wouldn't see anything missing if the original is available. That's why it's called optimized/original playback.

Proxy playback would show missing file because it's not called Proxy/Original playback, just proxy.

There is no real indicator other than right clicking on a clip to transcode it, and seeing that the option is greyed out.

Like noah says, it just works. If it's greyed out, then it knows it exists, and it uses it if you have chosen optimized/original playback.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]