FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut Relinking issue-PLEASE ASSIST!!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Thomas
Final Cut Relinking issue-PLEASE ASSIST!!
on Jan 5, 2016 at 4:56:20 pm

Hey everyone, I'm having a strange issue with relinking source files to a final cut event in Final Cut Pro 10.0.

I have moved to a new computer and copied the files over from an external hardrive.
The option to relink doesn't seem to be in the fcp menu at all (see screen shot)

The other issue is that even if I try the extremely tedious manual process of dragging and dropping the orig files i get this pop up which only lets me drop it in from the start or the end.

Thanks for any advice. Please explain any suggestions in the most simple, step by step way so that my feeble brain can understand :)

Cheers guys!
Chris

Return to posts index

Joe Marler
Re: Final Cut Relinking issue-PLEASE ASSIST!!
on Jan 5, 2016 at 7:01:58 pm

As of around 10.1.2, FCPX can relink all media in a project no matter what location on the drive volume.

If moving media between two machines, in theory you could move every media file and folder to a different relative location on the destination volume than it was on the source volume. You could even use different folder names on the destination volume. FCPX will search every folder the drive volume and relink all the media files.

This MacBreak Studio episode covers it starting around 04:10.
The specific relink procedure starts at about 08:00.

By "10.0", I assume you are not actually running the initial version of FCPX. If you are running a really old version this functionality was not there. If you are running a recent version, watch this video and compare it the steps you took:

Return to posts index

Chris Thomas
on Jan 5, 2016 at 7:43:06 pm

Thanks Joe much appreciated and thanks for the vid too! So you think the best bet is to get my hands on a newer version whic will make relinking a lot easier..?
Cheers!

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jan 5, 2016 at 7:58:00 pm

go to app store and update fc to the latest version --- huge improvements! and free upgrade.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Joe Marler
on Jan 5, 2016 at 10:58:02 pm

[Chris Thomas] "Thanks Joe much appreciated and thanks for the vid too! So you think the best bet is to get my hands on a newer version whic will make relinking a lot easier..?"

If you really are on 10.0, updating is a good idea. However there have been many changes. While beneficial, you need to be aware of them. See this page for starters: https://larryjordan.com/articles/fcpx-101-media-management/

You generally don't want to update while in the middle of a major project, but in your case if you really are on 10.0, it might be worth the risk. 10.0 did not even have multicam support. I would have good backups in case of encountering problems.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jan 5, 2016 at 11:07:10 pm

Yes for sure back up. Even if you are not switching to a new version ... back up. That said, none of the back ups caused a problem moving from one version to another. I really don't remember hearing problems from anyone. The library system changed and Apple did a good job of taking care of the transition. Though this would be a bigger jump than one version to the next.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Jan 6, 2016 at 3:42:20 pm
Last Edited By Robin S. Kurz on Jan 6, 2016 at 3:42:48 pm

I'm just curious: why would anyone that actually bought the software refuse to update (for free) the full 16 times they could have within the last four years??

- RK

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]