FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to back-up a project

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Desney Edit
How to back-up a project
on Jan 4, 2016 at 10:44:22 am

Hi guys!

Question: I've got a final fcpx project (more dan 50GB). Now this project is ready i want to write it to my back-up disk. Is there a way to make this project smaller?

I'm new with this program so maybe a step by step answer ;)

THX!

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: How to back-up a project
on Jan 4, 2016 at 7:58:24 pm
Last Edited By Bret Williams on Jan 4, 2016 at 8:06:54 pm

Depends on how you work. The general consensus seems to be a Library for each job. A job might just be one project(timeline) or a series of videos. Some people create a library for each client. I prefer a library for each video project because at the end I need to consolidate the library down to just the final project(s) and the media necessary for said project(s).

I highlight the project(s) in the browser and choose File>Copy Projects to Library>New Library and choose to save it to the appropriate client folder on my archive raid.

When that is complete (close the original library to avoid confusion)and with the new library open I highlight the library itself and in the inspector library properties make sure storage locations for media is set to "in library." Then I click the consolidate button which ensures there aren't any aliases in the library. (When you copy a project to a new library it only copies the necessary media and if that media is an alias, the new media is also an alias.)I choose not to copy optimized or proxy as that just makes the new project bigger. Render files won't be copied.

Now you have a single FCPX packaged project that can be reopened on any system and won't have any issues with relinking or missing media.

It will keep all your keywords, but if you had some file structure at the finder level for your media, that will be lost as all your media is now contained in the package.

In addition- I do similar processes for my AE and Motion Projects and save them to the same location in a folder along with ProRes masters and the consolidated FCPX project. If I have any other projects that I feel may be necessary like psd or ai files, I copy them too.

And don't forget! If you created any custom fx or templates or settings or plugins, those sadly don't get saved with the library, so you'll need to back them up separately in case you want to open it on a system that doesn't have them or even open it up on your own system after a clean install at a later date.

Return to posts index

Desney Edit
on Jan 4, 2016 at 9:13:26 pm

Thx mate! ;)

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jan 4, 2016 at 9:51:53 pm

Thank you for this detailed post, as I am in the process of coming up with a backup/archive workflow.

I think I followed the step by step but have a couple of questions.

You mention archive raid. Is this the best option? Would a bunch of individual drives be a more secure way to archive? Regardless either would need an extra clone to be reasonably secure.

I ordered a owc two drive dock for backing up projects on the raid I'll be using for active projects.

I've read the article about lto backups and considering that, but for now will go with hard drives.

I'm thinking of creating an excel spreadsheet that keeps a list of drive number and projects stored.

Would it be possible to use the tiny Fcp x project files (not the projects themselves) plus the original media, as you mention you also back up and archive, to recreate a Fcp x project?
. Or does your steps above essentially do this?

I'm asking cause although storage by size has
Gotten way cheaper, I'm ending up with way more media than in the DV days. Plus I don't have those tapes as the ultimate safety net for lost computer files.

Softraid which now seems necessary since el capitan does not format raids, offers a test to determin health of hard drives either populated -verify, or empty -certify. Do you know if this is a solid indication of hard drive health?

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jan 5, 2016 at 2:06:50 am

When I say archive raid, I'm simply referring to a mirrored raid where I throw completed projects. I also keep pretty much everything there because of how secure it is. A mirrored (raid 1) is just two drives with duplicate info. It has no performance benefit. Mine is an external chassis - guardian Maximus. It has two 5tb drives in it. As it gets full, I go in and delete the camera media from the projects as long as I gave the client a copy. I don't keep their media on my system forever! Usually 6 months or so or until I need the space just in case something comes back as it always does. But if it's a turnkey project where we scripted and shot then I'm sort of my own client and I have separate usb drives with just camera media. I like to have access to just about everything except camera media for the last 10 years or more. A project takes up very little space once you remove the video/camera media. It's just some graphics and a ProRes master usually. I like having the AE projects in case I want to redo a look or something. But I don't have a database. It's all memory and search. Another neat thing about the mirrored drives is every year I get two bigger drives and copy everything over. Then I take the 2 old drives and store them in separate locations. They also have family photos, invoices, stock media, and more.

The guardian Maximus is a hardware raid. I don't think there's any need for software raid. It just boots up as a single drive.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]