FORUMS: list search recent posts

Dual Displays on Mac Tube and FCPX

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Patrick
Dual Displays on Mac Tube and FCPX
on Jan 2, 2016 at 10:28:06 pm

Apple states that FCPX uses both graphics cards for playback and effects.

But what affect does two displays have on performance?
Is it a 5%, 20% or more?

Could I be getting much better performance with just one display?

I realize I could probably test this out, but I was wondering if anyone knew enough about how FCPX works with the GPUs to quantify this.

Thanks.

Mac Pro, Late 2013 (the tube)
Dual D700 graphics cards
Dual 27" displays

Return to posts index

John Davidson
Re: Dual Displays on Mac Tube and FCPX
on Jan 3, 2016 at 2:43:21 am

FCPX and motion apps will work great but expect nothing to be great with CC AE 2015. Ram previews with AE get about 9-12 fps with my dual screen iMac 5k setup with Thunderbolt Display attached. Switched to the non 5k monitor only and it gets to about 23fps.

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jan 3, 2016 at 3:46:34 am

John are you talking full Rez ram previews? Usually I skip a frame or two and go half Rez but that's on iMac. I thought Adobe didn't want to call them RAM previews anymore.

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Jan 3, 2016 at 6:13:03 am

Yeah, lots of forum posts on Adobe about how real time previews (whatever you want to call them) don't work on Macs. Most folks that have the retina iMacs. When I preview, it plays back at the crap frame rate. When I select render queue, the comp video plays back fine. It's the silliest thing ever. Adobe CC 2015 is a mess.

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Kevin Patrick
on Jan 4, 2016 at 1:14:03 pm

So your saying that having one or two displays has a negligible impact on FCPX? Moving to a single display wouldn't help performance in a noticeable way?

What about moving from dual 27" (2560x1440) displays to a single 4K display? From a pixel count, one 4K display is less than two of the 27" displays.

Would it matter if I the 4K display was connected via Display Port (TB) or HDMI?

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Jan 7, 2016 at 10:30:47 pm

If there's a difference, it's going to be in the 5% range, if anything at all. I played with FCPX in all the configuration's you've mentioned while trying to decide on my monitoring options last year, and I didn't notice any perceptible change in speed from setup to setup.

I'll add that a 4k display for using FCPX will have to be massive. At smaller desktop friendly sizes like the 27" 4k display I own, text is way too small to read for any length of time.

One thing I have noticed that seems to make the FCPX user interface a little slower is using a scaled screen resolution. If I use my 4k display scaled back to something I can read, screen refreshing doesn't feel quite as snappy.

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer | Southern Creative Media | Melbourne Australia
http://www.southerncreative.com.au | G+: http://gplus.to/jeffkirkland | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Kevin Patrick
on Jan 8, 2016 at 12:32:23 pm

Well that's interesting. Seeing as Apple has been shipping 4K (and now 5K) iMacs, I would think FCPX would not have an issue with screen scaling.

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Jan 8, 2016 at 8:30:12 pm

Well, Apple has been shipping El Capitan for quite a while now and FCPX still isn't 100% compatible with that so I don't think, in Apple's eyes, the state of the hardware has much to do with the performance of the application. I would think that say 5% slower scaled vs unscaled wouldn't be seen as a significant issue.

I'm not saying it's show-stoppingly slow, and it would be greatly influenced by the GPU driving it, but I do personally think the UI updating feels a little more sluggish if I'm not using the screen's native resolution.

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer | Southern Creative Media | Melbourne Australia
http://www.southerncreative.com.au | G+: http://gplus.to/jeffkirkland | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]