FORUMS: list search recent posts

Delete Project Render Files & Event Render Files, Differences

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Berch
Delete Project Render Files & Event Render Files, Differences
on Dec 30, 2015 at 10:37:18 pm

Hi,

After I'm finished with a job and want to make more room on my drive, I can delete Project Render Files and Event Render Files.

What is the difference between the 2 choices? Will anyone of them delete my clips and media that's in my Browser and Hard drives? If I do delete these files and I have to come back to that project and fix something, All I would have to do is just re-render all of the clips on the finished timeline, correct?

Will deleting these files make all of the effects that I put on the clips go away and have to put them back on if I do, in fact, have to go and make a few changes to a project later on?

Thanks

iMac 5K Retina
16GB RAM
FCP X 10,2

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Delete Project Render Files & Event Render Files, Differences
on Dec 31, 2015 at 6:47:10 pm

Your answer is likely here:

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH12704?locale=en_US

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP eXchange - FCPX Workshops

Return to posts index

David Eaks
Re: Delete Project Render Files & Event Render Files, Differences
on Jan 12, 2016 at 9:04:31 pm

Delete generated project files will remove the selected files for only that project.

Delete generated event files will remove the selected files for all projects within that event.

Delete generated library files will remove the selected files for all projects within all events within that library.

In all three of the above methods you can choose to delete render, optimized and/or proxy files. None of these choices will delete your actual media. Yes, if you need to come back to the project, all you have to do is render again. No, your effects will not be removed from the clips in your timeline.

On the other hand, I haven't rendered much of anything in quite a long time. I keep background render turned off and just export when the edit is complete. Unless there is something complex and it won't playback smooth, and you actually need to watch it to see that it turned out as expected. Like, there is no need to render that same old lower third you use in every project for a particular client, when you already know exactly what it will look like. In other words, rendering is useful for playback in the timeline while editing. Rendering everything immediately before export is just a waste of time.

For reclaiming hard drive space, I use Final Cut Library Manager-
http://www.arcticwhiteness.com/finalcutlibrarymanager/

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]