FORUMS: list search recent posts

Broadcast format for U.S.?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonny Cates
Broadcast format for U.S.?
on Dec 29, 2015 at 10:26:55 pm

In FCPX, what format will a TV station want a commercial in? In FCPX, under share, I don't see any choices for broadcast TV.
I've done commercials in the past, using FCP 6, and I've always made an .avi or .mov format. I don't see any choices like this under 'SHARE" or add destination.

Can I just put it in a master file? Can TV stations handle a pro res format?

thanks...

Jonny Cates

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Broadcast format for U.S.?
on Dec 29, 2015 at 11:26:20 pm

Delivery requirements vary greatly from broadcaster to broadcaster which is why there's no preset. Ask the broadcaster- nearly all have those spelled out clearly in a PDF.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP eXchange - FCPX Workshops

Return to posts index

Patrick Donegan
on Dec 30, 2015 at 1:32:03 am

When I produced a commercial for a ComCast station,
they provided me with a pdf of specs and upload requirements.

FCP X 10.2.2 - user since FCP 1.25
iMac mid 2011, MBA mid 2012
HVX-200, Shure wireless mic

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 30, 2015 at 6:15:08 am

Where are you delivering?

What format are you editing in?

Return to posts index

Jonny Cates
on Dec 30, 2015 at 7:58:09 am

Jeremy,

I actually edited this on my old 2009 iMac, in FCP 6 -- pro res 422. I then output to a Quicktime file, then transferred that to my new iMac that has FCPX on it. I just started learning X, so I'm still in transition.

The 30 sec is for a local FOX station.

I havent done a commercial in a couple years or so, but the last time I did, I simply gave them an .mov file. They used it with no problem. However, the video then was shot standard def, 29.98 not in 24P High Def.

I don't know what this station edits with, but in the past, .mov files have worked with the local stations around here--in this not so large market I live in.

I was just curious if there were any new standards concerning output of video files shot in 24p.

I also had some question about "field order" upper, lower, etc. for things shot in 24p, that was to be broadcast.

thanks!

Jonny Cates

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 30, 2015 at 2:19:36 pm

I routinely deliver to Extreme Reach for spot distribution and they take 23.976 masters. Direct to a TV station I would think that you'd need a 1080i (29.97) master.

With X this is easy, simply put your 23.976 movie in a 1080i timeline and choose Share > Master File and pick your codec to share to (like ProRes). 1080i is upper field first, but X will take care of that for you.

This will add the correct 3:2 pull down, and you don't have to worry about timing drift as a :30 second spot isn't long enough to start exhibiting timing issues.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Dec 30, 2015 at 6:09:48 pm

Different broadcasters will accept various formats depending on their internal guidelines. Actual broadcast formats - as opposed to production formats - are 1920x1080i 29.97 fps (59.94 interlaced fields) or 1280x720p 59.94 fps (59.94 progressive frames). Usually titles need to be 4:3 safe.

Generally if you send files that are "ready for air", broadcasters ask for MPEG2, but sometimes also H.264 and/or ProRes.

Typically most local broadcasters do not want masters that are 24p (23.976) and if you deliver one that way the odds of it getting incorrectly converted are high. Therefore, I would recommend doing your own conversion of 23.976p to 59.94i (29.97fps) to make sure it is done properly. This means your final deliverable will have a 3:2 pull down cadence.

Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]