FORUMS: list search recent posts

SXS UDF formated cards work ... and don't

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Patrice Freymond
SXS UDF formated cards work ... and don't
on Dec 27, 2015 at 1:22:14 pm

Hi, wondering if anybody has seen something like this:

Two clean installs of El Capitan, FCPX 10.2.2 and other software. Install 1 is on a 2012 MacBook Pro 15" 8GB Ram, Install 2 is on a late 2012 iMac 27" 32GB Ram. I installed the latest version of the SXS UDF driver on both. The Device driver was not installed as I use the Sony USB Card reader SBAC US30 with both computers.

On the MacBook Pro, I have no problem viewing xdcam 422 HD 50i 50Mb/s in Sony Catalyst Browse or in FCPX 10.2.2, both quite snappy with the card material.

On the iMac, I can view the same material in Sony Catalyst Browse though it is a bit sluggish, and in FCPX 10.2.2. the card mounts in the import window but all clips are black and response grinds to a halt. The "timer" icon next to the card in the upper left seems stuck at "2 o clock"

No problem on both computers when using non udf formatted cards (XDCAM HD 422 50i 35 Mb/s)

I am aware of the black frames problems with Panasonic material and I can work around this in a similar way, using edit Ready for instance. But this should be working in both cases and it drives me a tad nuts that it does not.

thanks for your help

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: SXS UDF formated cards work ... and don't
on Dec 27, 2015 at 11:19:19 pm

[Patrice Freymond] "The Device driver was not installed as I use the Sony USB Card reader SBAC US30 with both computers."

Why not install the device driver? it has needed components that are specific to the Sony Reader.

" Install 1 is on a 2012 MacBook Pro 15" 8GB Ram, Install 2 is on a late 2012 iMac 27" 32GB Ram"

Playback is based on both GPU performance and how the machine's storage is configured.

What is it playing from on the Imac? and are you sure that you are on a clean USB3 port for the reader?

gary adcock
Studio37

Post and Production Workflow Consultant
Production and Post Stereographer
Chicago, IL

Follow my blog at http://www.garyadcock.com

Or follow me on Twitter
@garyadcock

Return to posts index

Patrice Freymond
on Dec 28, 2015 at 7:05:18 am

Hi Gary,

I did not install the device driver as Sony specifies it is needed "when using the macbook pro" express card slot, which I am not. Also, nowhere in the Sony site does it say that with the Sony card reader you need to install the device driver...

Having said that, I suppose it does not hurt to try...

Not sure what you mean by "cleanUSB3" port for the reader. I have tried directly attaching as well as via a powered hub... same. Since my post I also clean installed a MacPro (8 cores, 64 GB Ram, dual 700), with same results. It is as if, on these machines, the sxs driver was not working, even though it is installed in the very same place as on the macbook pro...

I will install the device driver today and see if it changes anything, reporting back here. Thank you for your help.

Patrice Freymond

Editor  Certified Trainer FCPX 10.1.4
Post Consultant

Always learning...

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Dec 28, 2015 at 6:27:45 pm

[Patrice Freymond] "Not sure what you mean by "cleanUSB3" port for the reader"

Patrice

USB is notorious. The card reader should be directly attached to the USB3 port on your computer.

Keyboards and Mice are not USB3 in the Mac world and will slow down the transfer.
Especially if you are using a USB2 hub.

gary adcock
Studio37

Post and Production Workflow Consultant
Production and Post Stereographer
Chicago, IL

Follow my blog at http://www.garyadcock.com

Or follow me on Twitter
@garyadcock

Return to posts index

Patrice Freymond
on Dec 28, 2015 at 9:47:35 am

Hi again,

just reread Sony website about the US30 card reader and they specifically say it does not need the device driver. Which makes sense since I can perfectly well import 35Mb/s XDCAM HD material from SXS cards. Only difference is that those are not UDF formatted.

Patrice Freymond

Editor  Certified Trainer FCPX 10.1.4
Post Consultant

Always learning...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]