FORUMS: list search recent posts

Optimized files not in browser after import, just H.264.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Berch
Optimized files not in browser after import, just H.264.
on Dec 25, 2015 at 5:46:05 pm

Hi,

When I import footage that was shot DSLR into FCP X, I check "Create Optimized Media." When it's finished importing, I click on one clip and it comes up as "H.264 Linear PCM."

It was supposed to be Pro Res 422 Linear PCM.

When I import the actual Pro Res File, that's in the Optimized Folder, into FCP X, I click on it and it does say "Pro Res 422 Linear PCM."

Why do I have to import the Pro Res file again? Why do I have to have 2 copies of all of my clips in the browser?

Should I delete the H.264 after I import all of the Pro Res Files?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
Re: Optimized files not in browser after import, just H.264.
on Dec 25, 2015 at 8:05:03 pm

Even if you do import and create optimised media, fcpx will give you info on the original media, not the optimised media. Optimising media on import isn't replacing the media you import, it's creating an optimised copy that FCPX substitutes for the original when editing. Essentially it's creating a full-sized Prores proxy for your h.264 clips under the hood, but on the surface will continue to treat it as the h.264 original.

If you look at the info panel, you should see that while it reports the clip as h.264, and further down the panel it will show if you have an optimised and/or proxy version available. FCPX will use the optimised/proxy version first, if it's available, and then use the original of there isn't an optimised version.

You have two copies in your browser because instead of just letting FCPX do its thing, you went to the optimised media folder and imported the footage again. And no, don't delete the original media unless you want a potential mess on your hands later when it comes to archiving the project.

The FCPX user manual explains all this fairly well and, from memory, Ripple Training spend quite a bit of time on how FCPX handles media importing in their training videos. Both are worth checking out if you haven't quite got your head around what's happening at the file import stage.

I personally use an app like Editready to convert all my media to ProRes before I import it to FCPX but only because I prefer to manage and organise my media manually in the Ffinder rather than letting FCPX do it.

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer | Southern Creative Media | Melbourne Australia
http://www.southerncreative.com.au | G+: http://gplus.to/jeffkirkland | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Dec 25, 2015 at 8:27:36 pm

Does your workflow create extra copies of all your media or do you then leave in place thus having the original card copies and the transcoded one left in place. And your reason for this? So that all media is in pro res format vs FC leaving some originals as is? Such as P2 clips?

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Dec 25, 2015 at 8:48:39 pm

Yes. You would have the original h264 and the pro res. You could technically delete the h264, but it is technically a teeny weeny imperceptibly better quality file and I think X goes back to it for rendering and such if available.

Return to posts index

Adam Berch
on Dec 25, 2015 at 8:52:27 pm

Hi,

I am given a hard drive with dslr files on it, and I import the clips from that onto my hard drive so all of the files are on my drive in a folder. I then eject the drive with all of the original files on it.

Return to posts index

Adam Berch
on Dec 25, 2015 at 8:42:44 pm

Hi Jeff,

Thanks.

I use MPEG Streamclip or Compressor. If I convert it to Pro Res in one of those applications, When I import that in FCP X, will it ask me to Optimize it or not? If so, why would I convert it to Pro Res or Pro Res LT in another software if It's going to ask me to do it in FCP X

Thanks

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Dec 25, 2015 at 8:52:36 pm

On import, FCPX will force you to optimise non-native files, leaves you the option of optimising non-ProPes "native" files, and will (should) leave ProRes alone because it's already optimised and just import it.

http://www.southerncreative.com.au | G+: http://gplus.to/jeffkirkland | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Adam Berch
on Dec 25, 2015 at 8:54:27 pm

Ok Thanks,

Could I use Pro Res LT instead of Pro Res? Is that considered an Optimized clip or is is just Pro Res?

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Dec 26, 2015 at 8:00:40 pm

ProRes anything is considered optimised.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Dec 25, 2015 at 9:42:06 pm

I get that. But you do have a choice of importing a copy into the library or leaving in place.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Adam Berch
on Dec 25, 2015 at 9:49:58 pm

Hi,

When I'm importing from a hard drive onto another hard drive, It does not give the choice to Leave Files in place.

Maybe if I transferred the original files onto the same hard drive I plan to import them onto, it might give me that option.

If I did do that, could I technically, after import, delete all of the Original Files and just keep the Optimized and Proxy ones?

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Dec 26, 2015 at 6:22:04 pm

[Adam Berch] "When I'm importing from a hard drive onto another hard drive"

[Adam Berch] "It does not give the choice to Leave Files in place"

Below is the right hand side of the import window (command I). 'Leave in place' is just a radio button.

Are you saying this is greyed out after you selected your storage location, which in your case was a different external drive than the one the original media is on?

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Dec 26, 2015 at 8:12:54 pm
Last Edited By Jeff Kirkland on Dec 26, 2015 at 8:25:36 pm

the only time the leave in place option should be greyed out is if the media you are importing isn't considered native by FCPX.

On the other hand, from Adam's post on his multicam issues, he is running a version of FCPX that is both old (10.1) and broken, so I'd say all bets are off as afar as normal behaviour goes until he gets that sorted.

UPDATE: just revisited the other thread and I see Adam is actually using 10.2 but in any event, it sounds like his copy of FCPX has gone a little feral and In his shoes I'd do a reset/reinstall to see if this issue is related.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]