FORUMS: list search recent posts

fade just visual to black

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Alan
fade just visual to black
on Dec 22, 2015 at 9:25:52 pm

I know I've done this before but stumped. I want to have the video fade to black before not at the end of the clip and have the audio continue at full volume. I've tried opacity video animation but can't get the full black to be set before the out point. I've tried dissolves but video and audio fade together.

I suppose I could blade it and use the video animation to fade to black with the audio detached from the clip. Then do the same for the second clip (bladed off from the first and set the opacity to zero. But this seems a lot of steps and always the danger of getting out of sync and not being able to make any further edit changes.

This is simple right? What am I missing or have forgotten.

Can I solo just the visual component of a clip and apply the dissolve or video animation to just the video? Or disable just the audio and apply an effect?

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
Re: fade just visual to black
on Dec 22, 2015 at 9:57:36 pm

Ctrl+S to expand audio/video and then trim your video back as far as you need while leaving the audio in place.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Check out my Mormon.org profile.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Dec 22, 2015 at 10:22:48 pm

Yep. As with all visual transitions it only fades the audio as well if the audio is exactly the same length. Trim the audio 1 frame one direction or the other and you can have your audio handles back.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Dec 22, 2015 at 11:49:25 pm

[Craig Alan] "This is simple right? What am I missing or have forgotten. "
Why not use an Opacity envelope? Use Ctrl+V to open the Video Animation window. Expand the Compositing: Opacity and use Option ⌥+Click twice to make two envelopes points and then drag the last one down to zero. That should give you the fade to black you are looking for.

Like this:

Unless I'm not understanding what you want.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Dec 23, 2015 at 12:02:32 am

Perfectly viable, but just like behaviors in motion vs. keyframes, it's often quicker (and more visible) to apply, change, and adjust a transition vs. keyframes.

But if you're going about it the way you are, why wouln't you just use the opacity fade handles like audio? That way if you shorten the clip the fade goes along, unlike keyframes.

Like this

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Dec 23, 2015 at 12:10:26 am

[Bret Williams] "But if you're going about it the way you are, why wouln't you just use the opacity fade handles like audio? That way if you shorten the clip the fade goes along, unlike keyframes."
I thought Craig wanted to have the video fade to black and the audio to continue. Opacity fade handles are locked to the last frame so the video would never completely fade to black until the last frame of the audio. From his original post I believe that's what he tried. Using keyframes with an opacity envelope solves that problem.

~jr

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Dec 23, 2015 at 12:13:25 am

Yeah, I was thinking use the fade handles and of course stretch out the audio. But then if you wanted the video to fade back in you'd be up the creek. But if you're just fading the video up and down to black, I suggested he just fade a solid of black in and out above the clip. Sometimes the simplest way is the best. Nice and visible, don't have to expand anything, and easy easy to adjust and duplicate.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Dec 23, 2015 at 5:05:28 am

Thank you John, that was exactly what I tried to do before posting. Don't know why, but before I could not drag the downstream keyframe to the base of opacity. I kept getting a straight line down to the out point But starting clean it worked as I had expected and you suggested.

Sometimes I need to quit and reopen FC to get some weird behavior back on track. Regardless, knowing that a certain behavior is expected is way easier than if you are on unsure ground.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Dec 23, 2015 at 6:19:07 am

Glad that worked for you. I think once you start playing with the fade handles it gets hard to work with keyframes. Resetting the fade handles usually clears that up.

~jr

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Dec 23, 2015 at 5:14:55 am

Hi Bret,

Got the video animation opacity working but was curious about your suggestion so played with it. I get it and it works. Is there any danger using this technique in terms of having future video/audio sync? can you fill the frame you trimmed with a gap clip?

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Dec 23, 2015 at 12:05:57 am

Why not put a black solid above the clip and and fade it in and out. Then it's a nice little unit you can copy and paste and move around easily. I use them this way to fade in a show and fade out a show so I don't have to make compounds.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Dec 23, 2015 at 5:39:19 am

Hey Bret, great idea. Once you connect edit the solid what do you use to fade it in and out? A dissolve or the video animator? Didn't X used to have a handle built into the video portion just like the handle on the audio?

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Dec 23, 2015 at 6:05:23 am

I would just use a dissolve. Yes there are handles in the opacity Keyframes editor but seems easier to add dissolves.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Dec 24, 2015 at 7:00:01 pm

I like the control I get in the video animation but (and I think you mentioned this above) I wish it got reflected in the timeline without opening the animation window. With effects it get integrated into the timeline thumbnails.

Seems like Apple is moving more and more of the features into the effects collection. Like color correction. It actually makes sense and gives you more control. Hopefully this animation window will become an effect and somehow seen in the timeline.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]