FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mono Mix question

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rick Lavon
Mono Mix question
on Dec 20, 2015 at 4:18:14 am

So here is a question/bug I can't figure out...A client needs an 8-channel mono mix. I set up my roles to do an 8 channel mono export. I set my music up as dual mono panned L/R. When I export and reimport into FCP to check it, it comes back correctly as a 8 channel mono mix, but there is no indication of the music being L/R. It just shows up as mono. Is that because it is up to me to pan it L/R when I am setting up to use it? Is the L/R setting only applicable in a stereo output? FWIW the client is taking the tracks into ProTools to make it 5.1 mix so maybe there is a translation error?

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: Mono Mix question
on Dec 20, 2015 at 2:20:37 pm

[Rick Lavon] "When I export and reimport into FCP to check it, it comes back correctly as a 8 channel mono mix, but there is no indication of the music being L/R. It just shows up as mono."
Exactly! That's because it's mono! There is no notion of left or right in mono.
[Rick Lavon] "Is that because it is up to me to pan it L/R when I am setting up to use it? Is the L/R setting only applicable in a stereo output?"
Yes. Only stereo has a concept of left and right channels. A mono track is one channel and always comes in as centered until you pan it in some direction.
[Rick Lavon] "FWIW the client is taking the tracks into ProTools to make it 5.1 mix so maybe there is a translation error?"
I don't think there is a translation error at all. This is exactly what the client needs for 5.1 surround. They will pan the tracks center, left front, right front, left rear, right rear, life, etc. All they need are mono tracks from you to pan to their little hearts desire. ;-)

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]