FORUMS: list search recent posts

Two computers, same plugin, one offline - what to do?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tangier Clarke
Two computers, same plugin, one offline - what to do?
on Dec 5, 2015 at 6:07:28 am

Hey folks is there a way to refresh a plugin or somehow make FCP X aware that it is actually installed.

I am using Alex4D's sound only transition I used on one computer. I have the same plugin installed on my laptop but opening the library on my laptop FCP X shows the plugin as offline or missing (the red missing transition frame with yellow yield symbol).

Any ideas how to handle this and for FCP X to reconnect?

Tangier

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Two computers, same plugin, one offline - what to do?
on Dec 5, 2015 at 5:29:14 pm

Is it installed in the same place? It has to be installed exactly the same, in the same folder, sub folder, etc.

Return to posts index

Tangier Clarke
on Dec 5, 2015 at 5:56:04 pm

Installed in the same place. Perhaps the issue is that the user accounts have different names. Being that many of the plugins at the user account level. That's the only thing I can think of.

This is something that really annoys me. I wish all plugins were at the computer level, not user.

Tangier

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Dec 5, 2015 at 6:08:31 pm

[Tangier Clarke] "This is something that really annoys me. I wish all plugins were at the computer level, not user."
I thought Alex4D's sound only transition was just a local Motion template. It should show up under: ~/Movies/Motion Templates/Transitions/Dissolves/Sound only/Sound only.motr Do you have the motion template on both computers?

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Dec 5, 2015 at 6:11:24 pm

But only the user purchased the license. But, it shouldn't matter that they're in different user folders. As long as the path is the same. Maybe a different version?

Return to posts index

Tangier Clarke
on Dec 5, 2015 at 8:47:40 pm

Same exact version.

Tangier

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Dec 6, 2015 at 1:51:44 pm

Isn't this a free plug-in? So, there shouldn't be any licensing issues involved. Have you e-mailed Alex on his blog?

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Dec 6, 2015 at 3:38:06 pm

There's no licensing involved. It was a broad generic comment about installing plugins, so it was a was a broad generic comment about why they're installed in the user folder. It didn't have any bearing on the issue at hand.

Return to posts index

Tangier Clarke
on Dec 6, 2015 at 5:57:39 pm

Hadn't contacted Alex.

Tangier

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Dec 6, 2015 at 3:38:58 pm

Not sure why it wouldn't be working m, then.

Return to posts index

Alex Gollner
on Dec 6, 2015 at 7:32:01 pm

The problem is that the Finder or Final Cut sometimes adds a hidden '.localized' suffix to some folder names.

One method to see where the plugins are expected to be is

1. Use the same plugin on both machines
2. Export the projects as XML files
3. Open each in a text editor and search for the name of the plugin "Sound Only"
4. Compare and contrast the path that is listed on the same line as the name of the plugin

Change the path of the plugin on machine B so it matches the machine A. Then timelines made on machine A will open OK on machine B.

On my Mac, the line of XML looks like this:

effect id="r77" name="Sound only" uid="~/Transitions.localized/Dissolves/Sound only/Sound only.motr"

If went to the Finder and look in the Motion Templates folder (in your home folder), and selected the folder that seems to be named 'Transitions' and use the Get Info command from the File menu, you'll see the real name is 'Transitions.localized'

Alex4D

PS: Thanks to Oliver for telling me about this discussion - I'm mostly on Twitter, hardly here.

alex4d on twitter, facebook, .wordpress.com & .com

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Dec 6, 2015 at 8:35:07 pm

Why doesn't the file path list movies/motion templates/etc? It just skips right from user to transitions.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Dec 7, 2015 at 12:50:38 am

[Bret Williams] "Why doesn't the file path list movies/motion templates/etc? It just skips right from user to transitions."
I'm guessing because all Motion plug-ins for FCP X MUST be under ~/Movies/Motion Templates/* so it would be redundant to include this information in the XML. All FCP X needs to know is if it's under Transitions, Titles, Generators, Effects, or Compositions. There is no other place it could be.

~jr

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Dec 7, 2015 at 3:44:45 am

Except all the plugins and templates that aren't installed there and are installed in /Library/Application Support/Final Cut Pro/Templates

For example on my system that's where Universe, Coremelt, and Neat Video reside. Not in my user folder.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Dec 7, 2015 at 3:17:21 pm
Last Edited By John Rofrano on Dec 7, 2015 at 4:12:45 pm

[Bret Williams] "Except all the plugins and templates that aren't installed there and are installed in /Library/Application Support/Final Cut Pro/Templates"
Those are fully qualified in the XML. Here is what they look like:

<effect id="r4" name="BCC Film Damage" uid="/Library/Application Support/Final Cut Pro/Templates.localized/Effects.localized/BCC Film Style/BCC Film Damage/BCC Film Damage.moef"/>

I was just pointing out that when FCP X sees an effect uid that starts with "~/" it knows it's a Motion template relative to the Users home folder so it doesn't need to add Motion Templates to the name.

This causes the problem because users who manually create a folder named "Motion Templates" won't get their plug-ins picked up because the real name is "Motion Templates.localized" with the extension ".localized" hidden.

~jr

Return to posts index

Tangier Clarke
on Dec 7, 2015 at 2:49:32 am

I'll give this a try. Coincidentally Motion generators that I've created and in the same directory (other than the same user account) between different computers don't always work; particularly ones with drop zones even though I have the media in both copies of the FCP X library.

Tangier

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Dec 7, 2015 at 3:40:44 am

But did YOU put the media in the folder, or did you have it copy it automatically? I've seen that be a problem when it's just copied to the media folder in the effect, because that's just a copy of the media it's actually linked to somewhere else.

Return to posts index

Tangier Clarke
on Dec 7, 2015 at 3:48:02 am

Good point, but yes, I have it all in there like a nice tidy package.

Tangier

Return to posts index

Tangier Clarke
on Dec 7, 2015 at 5:29:12 pm
Last Edited By Tangier Clarke on Dec 7, 2015 at 5:36:51 pm

Projects from copies of the same library; one on my work computer and one on a thunderbolt drive connected to my personal computer.

Work computer:
effect id="r48" name="Sound only" uid="~/Transitions.localized/Sound only/Sound only.motr"

Personal computer:
effect id="r41" name="Sound only" uid="~/Transitions.localized/Sound only/Sound only.motr"

Seems like the locations are the same. Yet on my personal computer I have the red frame with yellow exclamation marked yield sign wherever the Sound Only transition is.

It'd be nice if that yield sign were clickable so FCP X would tell me what it's issue is.

Tangier

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Dec 7, 2015 at 8:51:43 pm

[Tangier Clarke] "Personal computer:
effect id="r41" name="Sound only" uid="~/Transitions.localized/Sound only/Sound only.motr""
Do the files exist on your personal computer?

Open a Terminal window and issue an ls command:
ls "~/Transitions.localized/Sound only/Sound only.motr"
If you get back:
ls: ~/Transitions.localized/Sound only/Sound only.motr: No such file or directory
Then the file doesn't exist.

~jr

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]