FORUMS: list search recent posts

portrait effects to fill the screen

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Patrick Donegan
portrait effects to fill the screen
on Dec 4, 2015 at 2:41:25 am

How do I create that effect of rolling out the edge pixels all the way to the edge
on a portrait aspect picture or a movie someone created on an iPad
in the portrait mode?

I have seen it before and just cannot remember the name of that effect.

Thanks so much!

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: portrait effects to fill the screen
on Dec 4, 2015 at 4:53:29 am

Not quite sure what you're asking but scale and crop in the Inspector are probably what you're looking for.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP eXchange - FCPX Workshops

Return to posts index

Patrick Donegan
on Dec 4, 2015 at 7:11:13 am

I don't want to just call it up or crop them, as they are 4:3 slides and all have information on
them.

I have seen the effect on tv news when they show someone's phone footage,
and in music videos.

I want to fill in the right and the left of each slide with something easy.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Dec 4, 2015 at 5:11:39 pm
Last Edited By Mark Suszko on Dec 4, 2015 at 5:24:34 pm

Seems like we're talking two things here: video shot in vertical portrait mode, and older video shot landscape but in the old NTSC 4x3 aspect ratio.

Ideas:

Sample the most prominent color in the vertical or 4x3 image, make that a color solid on the layer below, add a vignette or gradient to that.

or

Duplicate the original vertical clip, put it behind/below the original clip, add Gaussian blur and scale it up to fill the 16x9. Try it with a soft drop shadow on the 4x3 clip for a variation.

or

Throw up multiple copies of the portrait-styled vid, side-by-side. If you make three, throw a blur and partial crop on the two side copies, vignette the center copy to draw the eye to it.

or

Scale the vertical clip and rotate/distort it to look like it's playing at an angle. Heck, go whole-hog: grab a still of a cell phone, map the video to its screen, then angle the resulting composite with a blurred background behind it.

or

Map the video into the screen of a stock image of an old TV set, use the TV set art to fill the 16x9.

or

Depending on what part of the content has the important content, if it was shot 2K or 4K, maybe you can re-crop it to 16x9 and blow it up.

or

install in the client's phone an app like Horizon for iOS that forces a landscape view no matter what the camera orientation is, called:

or

Locate a gobo arm from your studio. Apply it to the photographer's skull, repeat until they learn to shoot in landscape mode.

Not familiar with the edge pixel effext in the request, but there are TV distortion effect plug-ins with a sub-effect called "scrape" that would grab the pixels and smear them across the screen. Similar effect to using horizontal blur.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Dec 4, 2015 at 5:28:47 pm
Last Edited By Mark Suszko on Dec 4, 2015 at 5:30:44 pm

A follow-up; If these graphics are powerpoint slides, it is easy to go back into powerpoint and have it re-format them into the right aspect ratio and re-export them, in just a couple of menu clicks. Check them to see that the text and images re-wrapped correctly, but generally any problems are few and minor. Ultimate product will be higher quality in the edit than if you just distort them on the timeline.

Failing that, it's easy to make or download a free Photoshop batch action that will go thru a folder of images and re-scale/format all of them to the new aspect ratio, in minutes.

Return to posts index

Patrick Donegan
on Dec 6, 2015 at 8:05:29 pm

Thanks for all these tips. I just printed them out and will review them each time
I am ready to mess with vertical format pictures.

Return to posts index

James Taylor
on Dec 5, 2015 at 7:21:49 am

i think you are lookng for somethimg like this?

http://www.fcpeffects.com/collections/entire-catalogue/products/vertical-vi...

JT

Return to posts index

Patrick Donegan
on Dec 6, 2015 at 8:04:18 pm

Great!
Thanks - I bought this now and am about to use it for this project.

It is not exactly what I imagined, and it is close enuf that it will save me some time.

The effect I would like to still find is the one that takes the last few pixels of the right
and left edge and explodes it out.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]