FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX clips don't match original media clips

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Zach Smith
FCPX clips don't match original media clips
on Dec 1, 2015 at 11:20:26 pm

When I import multiple clips, some with multiple range selections, all at once, the clips play right in Final Cut Pro X but they do not match the clips in the Original Media folder, specifically the ones that have multiple range selections. The in and out points set in Final Cut do not match the corresponding clip in the Original Media folder. If I import a clip, with multiple range selections, just on its own, it seems to work. Its when I try to import multiple clips with multiple range selections at the same time that things seem to fall apart? WHY?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: FCPX clips don't match original media clips
on Dec 2, 2015 at 12:29:02 am

What sort of media?

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP eXchange - FCPX Workshops

Return to posts index

Zach Smith
on Dec 2, 2015 at 3:33:54 pm
Last Edited By Zach Smith on Dec 2, 2015 at 4:06:07 pm

I'm importing from a P2 card that has footage shot on the Panasonic ag-HPX250 and the recording format is set to AVC-100/60i.

Return to posts index

Zach Smith
on Dec 2, 2015 at 4:58:53 pm

After a little more research it seems that FCPX is saving the entire clip in the original media folder but splits it from in point to in point for clips that I make multiple range selections on. Not exactly the storage saver that they claim to be such a positive thing for being able to make specific selections from the raw media.

Return to posts index

Joe Marler
on Dec 2, 2015 at 7:07:49 pm

[Zach Smith] "I'm importing from a P2 card that has footage shot on the Panasonic ag-HPX250 and the recording format is set to AVC-100/60i."

I have imported a lot of 4k H264 stuff from the AG-DVX200, and don't see that behavior. However I don't import ranges from the card but copy the .mp4 files to HDD and import from that using "leave files in place". The import is instantaneous with no major additional space used in the library. Range-based import only works with the original card structure.

I realize this may not be the optimal (or even proper) procedure and maybe isn't helpful to your situation. However I just wanted to let you know we are using a similar camera and what our results were.

Since FCP X is so fast at skimming and ranking material, our overall approach is to just import everything with "leave files in place". If it's a rejected clip, we do that solely in the Event Browser, not by viewing and rejecting some outside and some inside the editor. This doesn't take any more space since we have the files on local HDD anyway. We redundantly back up each day's shooting in the field and save every clip whether an outtake or not.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Dec 2, 2015 at 8:48:42 pm

That's a limitation specific to the P2 format- you cannot grab specific ranges because to do so would require a recompression and lose a generation in quality. I would recommend Joe's workflow.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow

Return to posts index

Zach Smith
on Dec 2, 2015 at 9:10:59 pm

It does let me make the selections and the clips created in FCPX are true to selections I made but the original media files don't reflect whats been created in FCPX.

This is due to the P2 format?
How will that change if I copy all the raw files on a HD and import from that?

Return to posts index

Zach Smith
on Dec 2, 2015 at 8:55:50 pm

Thanks for the response.

Let me see if I can make my issue more clear by outlining my work flow.

-I'm trying to import straight off the P2 card.
-In the import window in FCPX I make my selections, choosing which clips I want to import and which sections of certain clips I want to import by making range selections.
-I select, physically click, all the clips I want to import and hit the import selected button.
-The clips that show up within FCPX play correctly. Clips have been split where I had previously set in and out points in the import window.
-If I right click on one of those clips and choose 'reveal in finder' it takes me to the Original Media folder that has been created in the library and when I play that clip it doesn't honor the same in and out points that it does in FCPX or that I selected before importing. Rather, it seems to be splitting the clip in point to in point.

Whats even more confusing is that when I perform this same workflow on my bosses computer I get different results. If I import a single clip with multiple range selections everything is dandy and the Original Media clip corresponding with the clip in FCPX is the same. If I try to import multiple clips with multiple range selections then in and out points of the corresponding clip in the original media folder doesn't match...

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Dec 2, 2015 at 11:52:26 pm

the camera archive function would be the better option here than attempting to grab ranges.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow

Return to posts index

Zach Smith
on Dec 4, 2015 at 3:09:52 pm

Can you elaborate?

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Dec 5, 2015 at 7:17:56 pm

I'll take a stab at it Zack.

X is a database. As such, it relies on the accuracy of the data imported into it.

One way to LOCK accuracy about the location and nature of the clips you import into X is to "bundle" those assets together as close as possible to their original VOLUME state.

The idea of the Volume is important because with a LOT of different workflows out there and clips stored on cards, hard drives, network locations and who knows what else in the future - the VOLUME - is often the central repository represented by a hard drive like ICON that mounts to your desktop - the software KNOWS what that is - and it's expected to be a dependable,, accurate bundled representation of the original media source.

If you Range capture CLIPS as the first step in your workflow - you're disconnecting those clips from quite a bit of the original Volume information. Gone are it's Volume Identity. Maybe think of it as you've taken a box of marbles - reached into it and taken a bunch of the marbles out and put THEM in your pocket, loose. It's MUCH harder to track a pocket full of marbles than an intact original box of the same. Yes, you can take some marbles from a big box - and encase them in a pouch and keep them organized that way. But it requires you create and manage via pouches.

Many modern shooters don't want to mess with sub-pouching their marbles since drive space is not longer rare or particularly expensive.

The Create Archive function in X is a way to automatically MAKE A BOX that X understands of assets while keeping a consistent Volume structure that X can work with.

It's a useful alternative to just pouring random marbles into a container (folder) and having THAT be their home location. Because folders move. Clips get altered, re-captured, or sometimes just corrupted. And when they do in a database like X, it's a hassle for the program to keep track of them.

It's more CERTAIN and often just far more logical to leave the original digital container (the volume) intact and let the computer do the work in an environment of certainty. This clip lives in THIS volume and has THIS duration and THESE characteristics.

It's not just a loose array of marbles scattered across the desktop.

Does that help?

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Zach Smith
on Dec 7, 2015 at 5:36:44 pm

Thanks, but not really. Why would I have the option to make range selections and import only the part of the clip thats usable if it doesn't import what I've selected. Its confusing to have the option if its not actually an option.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]