FORUMS: list search recent posts

Transcoded media in browser not file pathing to optimised media in finder

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Swarbrick
Transcoded media in browser not file pathing to optimised media in finder
on Dec 1, 2015 at 4:32:30 pm

Hi everyone,

Sure this has been touched upon lots, but I have noticed that after I have optimised on import 5D Mark II footage and BMPCC footage in Pro rez 422 (latest version of FCP X) if you follow the breadcrumbs to what the clips are pointing to, the clip is always shown to be the original footage in the finder, not the optimised footage. I was under the impression that if you imported and transcoded then FCP X would always link to the optimised footage and then when archiving you can bin the optimised footage and keep the original files (and it still links to them as they have the same file name). As such it seems that the although I have the optimised clips in a different folder on my RAID (as set in the modify section) it never links to them when you right click and pick reveal in finder. The inspector also shows the original coded (I think it does anyway right regardless). Its just a bit of a mystery as I am sure I have seen archiving tutorials where the clips link to the optimised media first

A.

Andrew Swarbrick (BA Hons Film & Photography)
Off-line and On-line Editor

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Transcoded media in browser not file pathing to optimised media in finder
on Dec 1, 2015 at 6:35:59 pm

Yes it will always point to the originals but you'll find the optimized versions in your Library or wherever you choose in Preferences.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP eXchange - FCPX Workshops

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Dec 2, 2015 at 12:28:45 am

FCPX never loses track of the original files so 'reveal in finder' will always point to those - but it will use the optimised (or proxy) versions first if they're available.

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer | Southern Creative Media | Melbourne Australia
http://www.southerncreative.com.au | G+: http://gplus.to/jeffkirkland | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Andrew Swarbrick
on Dec 2, 2015 at 10:24:58 am

Thank you for the clarification on this matter. Good to know I am not losing my marbles
A

Andrew Swarbrick (BA Hons Film & Photography)
Off-line and On-line Editor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]