FORUMS: list search recent posts

Correct workflow - Libraries or events?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Guille Ibanez
Correct workflow - Libraries or events?
on Nov 27, 2015 at 12:03:29 am

Hi everyone and thanks for looking,

I've recently moved from Premiere to Final Cut X and to be honest, I couldn't be happier. I'm slowly getting used to the new 'concept'/'philosophy' and so far so good.
I do however have a doubt that will probably define the way I work with the software so better get it right from the beginning.
I run two different video businesses with two different names. My initial idea was to create two Master libraries (one per business) and then create events per job i.e.: I get 25-30 weddings/year then I would get 25-30 events within that particular library. And the same for the other business. Is this paradigm alright? Only asking because I just realised that everytime I open one event this will open the whole library and the questions is:
Will this affect FCP performance to have all those other unused events on memory? is there a way to hide these events (it becomes a bit too many messy on the left side of the screen with all these events piling up!!)?

many thanks,

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
Re: Correct workflow - Libraries or events?
on Nov 27, 2015 at 12:44:43 am

As you suspected, the more events in one library, the more your performance will suffer.

My approach would be to create a library per wedding, and then use events for the various parts of the day (prep, ceremony, photo shoot, speeches, etc).

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer | Southern Creative Media | Melbourne Australia
http://www.southerncreative.com.au | G+: http://gplus.to/jeffkirkland | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Anders Utterstrom
on Nov 27, 2015 at 12:49:28 am

FCP X is very flexible so there are many ways of organizing your data.

I would create a library for each wedding which would contain different events and projects.

You could have different events for different parts of the wedding and one or more projects (my cut, your cut..etc.) within that "wedding #X Library.

Remember a library contains everything and can easily be moved/copied to a separate hard drive using the Finder. You don't want to move 20 "weddings" which I'm sure would be rather large.

Cheers,

Anders/Chicago

Anders Utterstrom
Chicago, Illinois

Return to posts index

Guille Ibanez
on Nov 27, 2015 at 9:49:15 am

thanks for your advice guys!!

Thats one of the reasons I'm loving FCP at the moment, so flexible. I think i'll go down the library per wedding route. In terms of events, I'm not sure if i'll use them at all as im organising my footage with keyword sets (so powerful).
Do you consolidate projects once you've finished them?

thanks

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Nov 27, 2015 at 9:46:40 pm

Also Smart Collections can do a lot of the organization for you if you spend some time learning how they work. I rarely consolidate Projects when done because I prefer to have a copy of all media and archival hard drives are relatively cheap.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP eXchange - FCPX Workshops

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]