FORUMS: list search recent posts

First and Second Displays are Switched

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Lenny Zuber
First and Second Displays are Switched
on Oct 23, 2015 at 4:49:52 pm

Hi All,
I'm using FCPX 10.2.1 with a MBP and a Samsung external monitor.
MBP=1 Display & Samsung=2 Display

Now when I want to view my viewer on the second display nothing happens. Until I pull the FCP window to the external screen (my second display) and choose "show viewers on second display". Then it pops up on the first screen.
Are the displays switched???
This worked without a problem before...

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: First and Second Displays are Switched
on Oct 23, 2015 at 6:29:00 pm

If they really are switched, then you should be able to go into display prefs > arrangement and drag the menu bar to the other display. If they're switched, it's showing on the external.

Return to posts index

Lenny Zuber
on Oct 26, 2015 at 2:02:21 pm

HI Bret!

Thank you for responding.
I am not quite sure what you mean with "drag the menu bar to the other display. If they're switched, it's showing on the external."
The menu bar is on both displays - and they are not mirrored.
Under prefs/displays/arrangement the menu bar is indicated to be on my built in display and not on the external. That's the way it has always been, and that's the way it always worked for me.
Has there been some kind of update lately that messes up the second display functionality?
I'm stupefied...
Lenny

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Oct 26, 2015 at 4:10:00 pm

It doesn't sound like your issue, but in the arrangement pane, you can drag the menu bar from one display to the other. Normally, the menu bar only shows on one display, the main one. If you have "displays have separate spaces" checked in mission control settings, then each display has it's own space and can display a full screen app. When this is not checked, any full screen app covers both displays, usually meaning the external display is black, with the exception of apps like X or Motion where you can tell certain aspects of the app to show on the external display. Doing this in separate space mode as you're doing, has been problematic and continues to be so in El Capitan. I like working in this mode and figured they fixed it, but nope. For example, I'll have my events on the secondary display, and when I switch apps via alt+tab, then switch back, sometimes the events jump to my main display, but in a hidden separate window. A function that's not even possible or choosable. It's certainly not functional. And the only fix is to put events back on the main display, then put them back on the secondary. And then, remind myself not to use the separate space mode because apparently after 4 years of full screen apps (started with Lion) apple hasn't figured it out.

So not sure if that's exactly what you're doing but it sounds related in some way that might only apply to laptops. I'm on iMac.

Return to posts index

Lenny Zuber
on Oct 26, 2015 at 4:31:34 pm

Hi Bret,
thanks for the tip. I would have never guessed to look in Mission Control for that function. But it doesn't fix my problem anyway. FCPX still treats my main display as the second one and vice versa. It's beyond me and I give up. I sent FCP a feedback - now I'll wait and wait and wa....

Return to posts index

Lenny Zuber
on Oct 27, 2015 at 9:57:32 am

Now after mopping through the web, I understand what Bret meant in his first reply. In display preferences drag that little white menu bar in the arrangement view to the other pictured display. Tadaa!
It's not the way it used to be, but it'll have to do. Now my "main" display is my external one (which I do not want), but it does the trick.
Before, my main display was that of the MBP. Now for some strange reason I have to choose the external as my main display in order to view the viewers on the external one.
Scrathin' my head...
It is not as elegant as it used to be, but it works.

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Oct 30, 2015 at 12:40:22 pm

If you really want to drive yourself batty, hook up an HDMI monitor to a new Mac Pro in addition to two monitors. FCP X seems to randomly assign what the second monitor is if AV is ever turned off. It's so bad I stopped using the HDMI monitor.

Return to posts index

Lee Olsen
on Nov 25, 2015 at 6:03:52 pm

I've got the same problem. The most frustrating part is that it worked so well before, for weeks. Then today it just stopped working.

Return to posts index

Mark Morache
on Dec 7, 2015 at 2:53:48 am

I'm having this exact same problem. With HDMI monitor hooked up, I try to select "Show Events on Second Display". It's not greyed out, it lets me select it, but nothing happens.

If I drag my FCPX window to the second display (the HDMI monitor), now when I select the "Show Events on 2nd Display", the events show up on my MBP.

I can use my display preferences to make the HDMI monitor the main display. Now when the FCPX window is on the HDMI monitor, nothing happens when I try to display events on the second display, but when I move my FCPX window to the MBP, which is now the second display, it WILL let me use the HDMI monitor as the second display.

What gives? It worked normally earlier today, but now it's just doing this twisted version of how it should work.

Doing the displays as separate spaces in mission control seems to do nothing.

This is frustrating.

---------

Mark Morache
Evening Magazine, Seattle, WA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]