FORUMS: list search recent posts

Corrupt Library, How to move Event?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kenji Green
Corrupt Library, How to move Event?
on Nov 23, 2015 at 4:27:29 am

Hi

Was using FCPX 10.1.3, working off a project that is saved on an external HDD.
It started slowing down so I closed the app and rebooted the computer.

When I tried to open the same library, it won't open and just says "The document “event_name” could not be opened."
I tried all sorts of things to make it work and it just won't open.

The only thing I want to save from this library is one event (which only has one project inside).
How can I do this? My best guess right now is to move the event from this corrupt library to a new one, but I don't know how to do that when I am unable to open that library on FCPX. Any thoughts on how to do this?

Also, I updated to El Capitan last night if that makes a difference.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: Corrupt Library, How to move Event?
on Nov 23, 2015 at 2:02:29 pm
Last Edited By John Rofrano on Nov 23, 2015 at 2:06:22 pm

[Kenji Green] "The only thing I want to save from this library is one event (which only has one project inside). How can I do this? My best guess right now is to move the event from this corrupt library to a new one, but I don't know how to do that when I am unable to open that library on FCPX. Any thoughts on how to do this?"
Here is one way to accomplish this with FCP X 10.2.2 if the files are intact: (I have no idea if this will work with 10.1.3)

Step 1: Create a new Library, Event, and Project to hold the old one
  1. Open FCP X
  2. Create a new Library
  3. Create a new Event in that Library with the exact same name as the Event that you want to recover
  4. Create a new Project in that Event with the exact same name as the Project that you want to recover
  5. Close FCP X

Step 2: Copy the old Event and Paste it into the new Library
  1. Go to the Finder and navigate to the corrupt Library
  2. Right-click (or Ctrl+click) on the Library and choose Show Package Contents.
  3. Right-click on the folder with the same name as your Event and select Copy "event_name" (where "event_name" is the name of the folder).
  4. Navigate to the new Library in Finder that you just created in FCP X
  5. Right-click on the new Library and choose Show Package Contents.
  6. Right-click inside the Library window and select Paste Item
  7. When prompted select Replace (you have just replaced the empty event with the event that has your project and media)

Step 3: Check that it worked
  1. Open FCP X and your new Library should now have an Event that contains all of your media and a Project that matches your project.

Note: if the files themselves are corrupt, this may not work. I assume the Library cannot open because the metadata has become corrupt but the media files and projects are still intact. You can move the folder instead of copying it, but copy is generally safer because you can do it multiple times whereas a move can only be done once.

Let us know if this fixes your problem or if you have additional questions. Good Luck!

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Kenji Green
on Nov 30, 2015 at 12:20:03 am

Hey hey

Thank you for your response John.
Tried this out. However, I am unable to copy the entire event. The folder that is corrupted inside the event seems to be "Render Files". All other folders were able to copy no problem when i copied them individually. Inside "Render Files" is three folders: "High Quality Media", "Peaks Data", "Thumbnail Media". When I try to copy any of these three folders I get an error in Finder. Something along the lines of "Finder cannot copy this operation because it cannot read or write "XXX-XXX" frames.

I feel like I can delete this entire "Render File" folder using Finder and it will just regenerate when I try to open the event in FCPX. I have no way of backing the "Render Files" folder so wanted to check with others before doing this.

Thoughts?

Thank you!

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Nov 30, 2015 at 5:02:00 pm

[Kenji Green] "I feel like I can delete this entire "Render File" folder using Finder and it will just regenerate when I try to open the event in FCPX. I have no way of backing the "Render Files" folder so wanted to check with others before doing this."
That's correct. There is no reason to copy this folder. It will get recreated again from within your new project as needed.

If the other event copies worked did that fix everything?

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Kenji Green
on Nov 30, 2015 at 5:46:55 pm

Thanks for your reply John.
I'm gonna manually delete the "render file" folder using "Finder" and try to open it later today.
Wish me luck.

Return to posts index

Kenji Green
on Dec 1, 2015 at 1:01:52 am

OK, so it didn't work.
I backed up all but the few corrupt frames from the library>Event and then deleted that "Render Files". Tried to open that library in FCPX but still won't open.

Using the "inspect element" feature in Finder, I have copied the entire event and pasted into a new library that I made just for this event. But when I open this new library it shows nothing in FCPX. I am still using 10.1.3 though.

Is there another way to copy the event to another library? Or does that feature work for 10.2?

Thanks John

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]