FORUMS: list search recent posts

share menu greyed out - library issues?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Williams Cole
share menu greyed out - library issues?
on Nov 18, 2015 at 2:59:24 pm

Hi - I've been working on an issue that appeared when I was done editing a project and then when tried to share it - the menu was greyed out.

As the share menu works with other projects I believe I have narrowed the problem to a series of XAVC files that FCP 10.2 believes are not fully imported/transcoded but which show up in the project fine. After fiddling about a bit I think these files are a bit confused (no ability to relink or reveal in finder, etc.). At this point they are like ghost files that show up in the project but are not "real" in the view of FCP (I believe).

It's been suggested that I trash/rebuld the flexolibrary (though my issue is that the library is 5TB and I don't have room right now to back it up as a safety). I've tried a number of things - including exporting an XML file to a new test libarary - something that made the share menu there again but had only the ghost files again (it was blank in the export video where they were supposed to be).

It would be great to get any ideas/suggestions as it is getting to the point of sheer frustration. Of course, I need to export/share this project and/or find a way to correct/rebuild this part of the library.

Thank you very much.

(Mac OS up to date; FCP 10.2 up to date; plenty of RAM)

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: share menu greyed out - library issues?
on Nov 18, 2015 at 4:40:00 pm

Copy the project to a new library. It doesn't take up any more space as long as it's on the same drive.

Return to posts index

Williams Cole
on Nov 18, 2015 at 4:46:34 pm

will try. Thanks, am trying everything and anything. do you mean cut and past the project timeline into a new one in a new library? or just drag and drop?

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Nov 18, 2015 at 4:54:02 pm

You can do that or you can highlight the project and choose to copy/duplicate the project to a new library via the file menu.

Return to posts index

Williams Cole
on Nov 18, 2015 at 5:08:24 pm

tried it but unfortunately share still greyed out...

it did copy all the files into a new library as it's about 400gb

so strange. But I do notice that in the browser some clips can "reveal in finder" while with others (the ones I think are causing issues) that option is greyed out.

If I try to "relink files" it doesn't detect any missing files

I have a feeling I may have to fully delete (in package as well as browser) the clips that I think are a problem and then do a clean re-import and rebuild the edit somehow... oy. any other ideas...

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Nov 18, 2015 at 5:34:05 pm

Yes, it does copy the files... almost instantly. AND through the magic of hard links/sym links these files use the same media. They're not aliases. They are real files. But both copies of the files point to the same data source deep in the OS. This isn't a finder thing. The data won't be deleted until you delete both copies.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Nov 18, 2015 at 5:35:00 pm

Can you just replace the bad files?

Return to posts index

Williams Cole
on Nov 18, 2015 at 5:53:56 pm

I've tried to transcode them to pro res outside of the FCP system and then import them in again but does the same thing (i.e. kind of links but doesn't allow the share). So not sure how can replace them easily...It must have something to do with how their metadata are set into the FCP X system - am only guessing. So I guess what I have to do is trash them from all places in the system and start over. But then, of course, the in and out points from my edit are gong to be gone...

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Nov 18, 2015 at 7:52:38 pm

Have you read the thread below this one? Sounds like some similar issues.

Return to posts index

Williams Cole
on Nov 18, 2015 at 9:05:37 pm

Sorry which one?

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Nov 18, 2015 at 9:06:26 pm

https://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/344/40574

Return to posts index

Williams Cole
on Nov 22, 2015 at 12:58:48 am

thanks for all the help. It turns out the way I had to do it was to re-import the batch of files that were suspect and re-cut them into the edit and trash all the other missing (red) files from the browser. Even after that it didn't work until I found a couple of little slivers of the old files in the project. Once I deleted them it worked. oy.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]