FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to add Log files to FCP X?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Buday
How to add Log files to FCP X?
on Nov 17, 2015 at 5:29:27 pm

In latest version of FCP X, via the CLIP INFO tab, you can add a LOG/LUT profile to source clips PRIOR to dropping them on to a timeline. The drop-down selector provides a few basic LUT's from Arri, Canon, Sony, etc.

Is there a way (as with Premiere, Avid, Resolve and others) to add custom LUTS to this drop-down selector? I know I can get a third party EFX Plugin to drop a LUT onto a clip, but I' prefer to "pre-adjust" all the clips requiring LUT's in the Library.

Any suggestions>

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
Re: How to add Log files to FCP X?
on Nov 17, 2015 at 6:04:37 pm

[Michael Buday] "Is there a way (as with Premiere, Avid, Resolve and others) to add custom LUTS to this drop-down selector? I know I can get a third party EFX Plugin to drop a LUT onto a clip, but I' prefer to "pre-adjust" all the clips requiring LUT's in the Library."

Nope. You only get the ones Apple gives you. Go 3rd party if you want more control and make a feature request.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Nov 19, 2015 at 1:29:18 pm

Right now, to add extra LUTs, you have to get LUT Utility from Color Grading Central and then any additional LUTs you want to add. Unfortuantely FCPX has no source-side correction (aside from its built-in LUT feature), so any LUT you add can only be applied to timeline clips.

Since most log-style footage can also be corrected with standard grading tools, including the color board, you could also simply create a color correction preset in the color board and quickly apply that to the desired clips. (I realize that this isn't mathematically perfect, since it's not a curve, but most of the time will look fine.)

Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Michael Buday
on Nov 19, 2015 at 7:34:40 pm

Thanks Oliver - that's what I thought. Gotta tell you, I'm evaluating AVID, Premiere, Resolve-12 and FCP-X for this trailer I'm cutting for the Docu-Series pilot I discussed with you, and w/o a shadow of a doubt, FCP-X deals with 4K video and other mixed formats incredibly well - it's absolutely lighting fast editing native XAVC-I 4K mixed with other 4K and non-4K formats on the timeline with no transcoding required for the editing part of it (so far).

Having said that, I'm REALLY STRUGGLING with the "editing philosophy". If I didn't know any better, I'd say they took iMovie and branched off that code base to create FCP-X.

Premiere is sluggish on my late model Mac with 4K. Supposedly they're releasing an update soon that will solve many issues.

Resolve handles the mixed media almost as well as FCP-X, but there are way too many editing tools missing.

On back on AVID right now having finally got AMA working with XDCAM/MXF files, and so far it's pretty responsive, so I may stick with the old work horse after all - we'll see.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Nov 20, 2015 at 12:03:55 am

[Michael Buday] "Premiere is sluggish on my late model Mac with 4K."

Interesting. On a 2010 Mac Pro, I see Premiere Pro handle 4K XAVC-I a bit better than does FCPX. One hitch I see in the Adobe approach is the lack of a good proxy/hi-res workflow, unless you pull Prelude into the mix. This workflow, when needed, is much better with X.

[Michael Buday] "Having said that, I'm REALLY STRUGGLING with the "editing philosophy". If I didn't know any better, I'd say they took iMovie and branched off that code base to create FCP-X. "

I would say that yes, they share a lot of design similarities and underlying architecture. But as many have already said, experienced editors often struggle more than newbies. In a way, look at X as a lot like a film Moviola, rather than a mimic of a linear tape-based NLE. You really have to forget everything your knew and start over.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]