FORUMS: list search recent posts

Adding Number to Every Clip?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kenji Green
Adding Number to Every Clip?
on Nov 16, 2015 at 2:04:26 am

Hi

I am editing a video that counts words. Each word is separated into different clips and I want to show a counter that shows how many times the word was spoken. The simple way to do this would be to add a text layer and cut it to each clip length, then add numbers manually.

But is there an automated way to do this? An effect that adds numbers to each clip in a timeline? My biggest worry about doing it manually is if I need to change something mid-timeline it will screw with my count.

Please let me know if you guys have good ideas.

Thank you

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: Adding Number to Every Clip?
on Nov 16, 2015 at 4:32:16 pm

IIRC somebody investigated this a couple of years ago and determined it can be done, but it's pretty complex.

I vaguely remember it involved exporting an XML of your edit - then opening that in a text application and identifying the strings where the counter numbers occur - and writing a small script or Automator action to re-serialize those after which you have to re-export the XML and import it back into X?

IF I'm remembering it correctly - It sounds to me like a real PITA and It's far from a common approach. But it MIGHT be a path worth pursuing if this is something you need to do over and over again in the regular course of your work.

FWIW.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Kenji Green
on Nov 16, 2015 at 5:24:58 pm

Hi Bill

Thank you for your response. I see... that seems like it's more work than it is worth.
I just need to do it for this one video but there are like 2000 clips... I might just be better to edit everything completely, make sure it's 100% final cut then add the titles.

Anyone else have any other ideas...?

Best,

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Nov 16, 2015 at 9:22:54 pm

Just a follow up suggestion, You likely already know this, and if so ignore it.

But as long as you're not SURE about the final array order, start by "wedging" numbers in using 505a, 505b, etc. And leave those temps in place until you KNOW you're at the final stage. Cant tell you how many times I've re-numbered everything - only to need to wedge something into the first ten, causing me to have to go back and change 1990 numbers in a 2000 number array!

Just trying to save you grief that I've lived through.

Carry on.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Kenji Green
on Nov 21, 2015 at 1:27:44 am

Thanks Bill

That's a smart idea. I will give it a try.
The thought of having to type thousands of numbers in is numbing but you gotta do, what you gotta do.

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]