FORUMS: list search recent posts

using FC backups to recover a project

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Alan
using FC backups to recover a project
on Nov 10, 2015 at 12:14:39 am

Can I recreate a project with a copy of the original media cards and a backup file generated by FC?

If so why is this not a space saving way of backing up projects as opposed to the entire library and all related folders?

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
Re: using FC backups to recover a project
on Nov 11, 2015 at 6:56:28 pm

It's possible, but past experience with FCPX leaves me wary of its ability to relink. I think you'd want to do a truckload of testing before committing to it as a plan.

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer | Southern Creative Media | Melbourne Australia
http://www.southerncreative.com.au | G+: http://gplus.to/jeffkirkland | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
Re: using FC backups to recover a project
on Nov 12, 2015 at 4:32:41 pm

Was wondering why everyone now recommends backing up libraries and all linked folders. In the pre-X days the advice was always back up project files (very small file) and original media. Much less space needed in these days of massive amount of media.

I do know that if I clone a library and any linked folders, and if I open the project using the clone, the media will need to be re-linked if the original raid is off line. FC is pointing to the original location not the clone's.

Seems like a giant step backwards in terms of media organization.

That said I have always been able to manually relink if FC does not find the storage location on its own.

I will test this but I'm surprised it isn't a more common discussion. I am not the only one who is trying to back up safely but am challenged by the sheer amount of space that the new codecs/workflows require.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]