FORUMS: list search recent posts

Solutions for FCPX crashing

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Claude Lyneis
Solutions for FCPX crashing
on Nov 9, 2015 at 8:35:33 am

I am running FCPX 10.2.2 on OSX 10.11.1 on a mid 2011 27 inch iMac with 24 GB of ram. I am using an external SSD disk for the files although I also had this problem before going to that. I am encountering crashes, X stops and the new beach ball spins until I force quit. Tonight it took a lot of time to find the last most recent backup, which didn't seem that recent. So I am ready for surgery.

Suggestions on how to attack this, like a clean install. If so, can you point me to the steps for a clean install? The only plugin installed is Color Finale. I have been lucky I guess, that until very recently, I didn't experience many crashes, except in the early days of X.
Claude

Return to posts index

Claude Lyneis
Re: Solutions for FCPX crashing
on Nov 9, 2015 at 5:29:41 pm

I followed Larry Jordan's tutorial on trashing FCPX preferences https://larryjordan.com/articles/fcp-x-trash-preferences-video/
and that seems to have fixed the frequent crashes. That was easy!

Return to posts index

Kripá Pizzorno
on Nov 9, 2015 at 11:06:14 pm

Great to know about this, thanks for sharing the solution that worked for you! I'll have to try this next time it starts crashing on me (depending on the day, it can be quite frequent.)

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
on Nov 10, 2015 at 8:16:20 am

Good to hear deleting your preferences has solved your issue.

BTW: that video is quite old. In the meantime Apple has added an easier way to refresh your FCP X preferences:

Launch FCP X while holding the ALT+CMD keys pressed down. You will get a message asking if you want to delete your preferences. Just confirm and let FCP X open.

- Ronny

Return to posts index

Claude Lyneis
on Nov 10, 2015 at 5:45:38 pm

Thanks for the update. It has always been a mystery to me why these preference files can cause so much trouble. Next time, I will try this sooner than later.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]