FORUMS: list search recent posts

Zoom into timeline changing to viewer automatically

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex Bond
Zoom into timeline changing to viewer automatically
on Nov 5, 2015 at 2:32:39 pm

This is driving me mad - I zoom in and out of the timeline a lot using remapped shortcuts (plus and minus rather than CMD plus and minus) but FCPX will zoom into the timeline once or twice then start zooming into the viewer without me clicking the mouse anywhere else.

I then have to click somewhere on the timeline again for the plus minus to work on the timeline.

Problem seems to be that the Zoom command is for "Zoom into the Timeline, Browser, or Viewer" when it should be ONE of those things, not ALL.

Is there a way to stop this happening?

Cheers!

Alex

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Zoom into timeline changing to viewer automatically
on Nov 6, 2015 at 12:42:08 am

Zooms wherever your mouse is hanging over. Is that the problem? I for one am very grateful there's just one command to zoom in all places. There are keyboard shortcuts to select a focus area if you don't want to use the mouse.

Return to posts index

Alex Bond
on Nov 6, 2015 at 10:31:21 am

I have to click the mouse in each area to make it zoom in and out of that one - not just hover - how have you got it to do that?

But no, what I mean is it will zoom into the timeline and then it will 'decide' I want to zoom into the viewer next - I don't...

Return to posts index

Alex Bond
on Nov 6, 2015 at 1:54:41 pm

As a caveat to that, I've worked out exactly when this happens:

Zoom in or out on the timeline
Move/trim a clip or slug (ie interact with the timeline)
Zooming in or out again with the same keys will now activate the Viewer zoom - not the timeline zoom.
Click back into the timeline and zoom will again work on the timeline.

I'd like to set it so it never reverts to the viewer on the zoom - is that possible?

Cheers

Alex

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Nov 6, 2015 at 6:10:40 pm

You're right about having to click not hover.

But I can't get it to switch to the viewer repeating your process. Only if I click in the viewer or press cmd+3.

Even with the cmd removed from the -/+ keys.

FWIW this seems like a very slow way to zoom into an area. I prefer to first cmd+z (if the area to zoom to isn't visible), then press z and lasso the area to zoom into. Goes right where I want it very quickly.

Return to posts index

Alex Bond
on Nov 9, 2015 at 11:27:54 am

I think it's a glitch due to my reprogramming the keys - it seems like there are a lot of options in the command Editor, when I type 'zoom' into the editor search box I have 4 Zoom in shortcuts, 4 Zoom out, Zoomt to Fit, Zoom to Samples and Zoom tool. There are too many Zoom In Zoom Out commands and I'm sure the software is getting confused.

Must be a choice thing re your zoom preference - I can't see a faster way than plus or minus!

Cheers though

A.

Return to posts index

Alex Bond
on Apr 15, 2016 at 11:54:56 am

Looks like I'm not the only one having this problem.

http://www.fcp.co/forum/4-final-cut-pro-x-fcpx/24369-zoom-function-switchin...

It's incredibly annoying as I have to keep stopping to click back in the timeline to re-activate the zoom on THAT.

when I'm working in the timeline I'm zooming in and out all the time - I don't want FCPX to change the zoom to the viewer by itself!

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Apr 15, 2016 at 12:56:18 pm

If you just want to build a little bit of muscle memory that can make some of the frustration go away, Command 1 and Command 2 directly targets either the Viewer or the Storyline window - even if a prior action or hover changes what X thinks you want to activate. And if you are a mouse oriented editor, the C key will select whatever is under your cursor or skimmer.

Hope that helps.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Alex Bond
on Apr 19, 2016 at 10:13:02 am

Hi Bill,

That's very useful, thank you.

I cannot imagine why it's been programmed to change from timeline to viewer automatically - it does it after I make any change to the timeline - it's very rare for me to do just one thing on the timeline and then need to zoom in and out on the viewer - in fact it's very rare for me to need to zoom in and out of the viewer AT ALL so it's bizarre function.

Thanks for the help :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]