FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compressor 4.2.1 Failed: 3x crash service down - NOBODY seems to have any answers...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ed Smith
Compressor 4.2.1 Failed: 3x crash service down - NOBODY seems to have any answers...
on Nov 3, 2015 at 1:45:59 pm

MACbook Ori 2015 all the RAM in the world
Yosemite 10.10.5
AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2048 MB
Aple COmpressor 4.2.1 etc etc etc

Im trying to convert 4K (H264) MOV files from a Phantom 3 Pro into pro res, and I am unbelievably fed up that compressor is utterly incapable of this task. (see also https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7233633)

Does anyone have any suggestions? Is this why there are so many pages of small comapnies offering one-trick converters to do this because Apple is too busy flogging iToys instead of fixing professional apps?

Suggestions welcome

-E

Return to posts index

John Davidson
Re: Compressor 4.2.1 Failed: 3x crash service down - NOBODY seems to have any answers...
on Nov 3, 2015 at 6:30:28 pm

Hey Ed, what are your exact compressor settings?

Where are your Phantom 3 files stored - locally or staying on the card? Screen grab your compressor preset settings and paste them here please.

Thanks!

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Doug Metz
Re: Compressor 4.2.1 Failed: 3x crash service down - NOBODY seems to have any answers...
on Nov 3, 2015 at 7:37:44 pm

[Ed Smith] "Im trying to convert 4K (H264) MOV files from a Phantom 3 Pro into pro res, and I am unbelievably fed up that compressor is utterly incapable of this task. (see also https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7233633)

Does anyone have any suggestions? Is this why there are so many pages of small comapnies offering one-trick converters to do this because Apple is too busy flogging iToys instead of fixing professional apps?"

Hi Ed.
I suspect some of your camera files are corrupt. A quick look around the DJI forum confirms the cards they ship with the Phantom are sometimes faulty or too slow. If you can, pick up a new class 10 card and test it.

Another thing to keep in mind is that you need to stop the recording *before* turning off the intelligent battery, otherwise the files won't be written completely.

Not sure if that's your case, but the error you're seeing indicates toasted source files.

Those one-trick-ponies are crapware. If QuickTime can open it, Compressor will convert it. Hell, QuickTime 7 Pro will convert it too.

Doug Metz

Anode

Return to posts index

Ed Smith
on Nov 3, 2015 at 8:34:07 pm

Hi Doug

Many thanks - the card is actually a San Disk Extreme Class 10 if not faster so cant be that. Recording is finished often before landing let alone before powering down so cant be that either. I cam use QT7 (hell I have no other option) but of coure the whole point of GPU Compressor 4.2.1 is lost as is batch etc

So yes Quicktime can open it, but Compressor screws all the files up right royally. I just wish all the others posting to the Apple and CC forums had solutions - I think this is just bad code.

-E

Return to posts index

Doug Metz
on Nov 3, 2015 at 8:42:05 pm
Last Edited By Doug Metz on Nov 3, 2015 at 9:09:52 pm

Do you have this problem with all of the files from the Phantom, or just some of them? Would require a little testing, one-at-a-time batches to verify...

Also, you mentioned that QT7 will open them - will it also export a usable ProRes transcode?

I'd like to have a look at one of the source files if you're interested in uploading one of the trouble-makers.

Cheers!

[EDIT] One of the things that's got my curiosity is the fact that the card format is FAT32, which has a 2GB file size limit. With 4K, damn near everything will be a spanned clip, so maybe the answer lies somewhere in there.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]