FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to TURN ON FCPX Import Renaming option?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kenneth Merrill
How to TURN ON FCPX Import Renaming option?
on Nov 3, 2015 at 4:28:45 am

I use FCPX to archive all of my home/family media. It's been nice because FCPX has been renaming all of the video clips I import to their capture date and time. Very handy for future use when I can't remember the dates for things.

But, I just realized today that around June of last year it stopped changing the file names on import. Now, IN FCPX I can just use the Inspector panel to change the naming convention to the capture date, but this DOESN'T change it on the Finder level. I WANT the file names to be changed to the capture date at the FINDER level. Does anyone know how to toggle this feature back on?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Doug Metz
Re: How to TURN ON FCPX Import Renaming option?
on Nov 3, 2015 at 8:21:01 pm

I just had a look through the prefs and didn't see anything useful, but maybe there's a way to do this automatically at the Finder level with AppleScript.

What's your typical workflow?

Doug Metz

Anode

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Nov 3, 2015 at 9:59:14 pm

Hope this helps.

The camera writes metadata to the card or drive along with the clips themselves. That metadata has lots of information including likely the date the clips were shot plus a lot of other info.

Then you IMPORT into X so that X knows what and where those clips are. Depending on HOW you import them, the ID metadata flows INTO X wherein the program starts to manage it INSIDE X.

Whether you set it up to show the original clip name or the import data info is trivial to the program. It can do either in a snap.

But... this has nothing to do with what how the OS sees these assets in the Finder, other than what X is set to display at the time of import.

No matter WHAT you change in X, it's NOT going to report back upstream and create or change the metadata of the finder clips that it has imported. That's not how the database in X works.

IF it imported a date with the ingest, then you can DISPLAY that date in X. Thats just re-naming inside the database and no problem.

But its an import system, NOT a "talk to the finder" system unless and until you share a file out to the finder later.

If you must have finder labels changed, you're going to have to do that as a step BEFORE import if you want that metadated reflected in the X database AND in the finder.

Generally speaking, it's a BAD idea to mess with stuff destined for X editing in the finder. The database wants to know the exact names and locations of the assets that the database started tracking ON IMPORT.

Messing with X referenced stuff in the finder past the import point is generally bad JuJu.

Good luck.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Doug Metz
on Nov 3, 2015 at 10:16:56 pm

Exactly.

This is why I asked about workflow... we don't know anything about the source media, where it comes from, or what steps are already in place.

Doug Metz

Anode

Return to posts index

Kenneth Merrill
on Nov 3, 2015 at 10:34:18 pm

Here is my workflow: nearly all of my home video footage is from my iPhone. I plug the iPhone into my iMac via USB cable, and in FCPX I click the Import button (downward arrow on left side of panel); in the import menu, I select my iPhone as the source camera, choose the clips I want to import/download, and I click "Import." I don't create any proxies or anything like that. Just straight copying.

Bill Davis wrote: "No matter WHAT you change in X, it's NOT going to report back upstream and create or change the metadata of the finder clips that it has imported. That's not how the database in X works."

This is not true.

Up until May of 2014, ALL of the iPhone video clips I downloaded to my iMac with the workflow I described above had their FILE NAMES changed at the Finder level IN ADDITION to the time/date labels within FCPX itself. It's true, I've never seen any other program behave that way, but FCPX did, and it's well documented on this very forum. Just search "FCPX file renaming on import" and you will find a fair number of people complaining about Final Cut changing the file names of clips they imported. In fact, in the beginning I think it was the only way FCPX would import... But at some point they altered the software, and now I'm wondering if I can actually have it the other way...

I hope I explained everything sufficiently. I do appreciate any help you guys can offer.

Alternatively, is there a program that would import all the video from my phone and change the file names to the capture date while it's at it? I love the simplicity of just importing everything into events in FCPX, but having the dates in the file names is just so dang convenient for future remembrance.

Return to posts index

Doug Metz
on Nov 4, 2015 at 6:02:06 pm

Unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be any way to flip that switch back on.

[Kenneth Merrill] "Alternatively, is there a program that would import all the video from my phone and change the file names to the capture date while it's at it? I love the simplicity of just importing everything into events in FCPX, but having the dates in the file names is just so dang convenient for future remembrance."

I don't know of anything on the market that will do this automatically.

If you want to pursue Finder file renaming, you'll need a new, manual process - and having thought about this further, I'm not sure its worth the extra work and potential problems that could result...

As Bill said earlier, you'd first need to transfer the files from the phone -outside- of Final Cut. To avoid the double-whammy of transcoding and losing metadata, I'd use Image Capture for this step. You can simply drag-n-drop iPhone clips from the Image Capture window into a folder in the Finder.

Next, renaming the files. A fairly simple AppleScript could do this quickly and easily in a single batch, or you could rename them one at a time manually.

Once that's done, you can ingest. Since you indicated that you're already browsing media files in the Finder, I'm assuming you've got Final Cut storing the Library's media in an external folder. To avoid creating duplicates, you can set FCP to leave your files in place, or, if you're copying into the library, you'd delete the first copy.

The process isn't terribly difficult, but the extra steps don't really pay off in a way that's decidedly 'better' and they create more work for you.

You can already view / search / sort date information in the Finder (which is what FCPX used early on).

Maybe the best solution is to simply change your Media folder's Finder view to show Creation Date, and sorting by that column would be a satisfactory compromise...

Doug Metz

Anode

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Nov 4, 2015 at 7:42:25 pm

Just a note that you can also batch rename files in the Finder if you are running Yosemite or El Capitan.

My other thought is that you could use the Photos app to organise the videos, especially if they originating on an iPhone, and just access them from the Photos browser inside FCPX. That lets you sort by date and location, etc.

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer | Southern Creative Media | Melbourne Australia
http://www.southerncreative.com.au | G+: http://gplus.to/jeffkirkland | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Nov 4, 2015 at 8:40:40 pm

[Kenneth Merrill] "Bill Davis wrote: "No matter WHAT you change in X, it's NOT going to report back upstream and create or change the metadata of the finder clips that it has imported. That's not how the database in X works.""

In 4 years, it's never happened for me, BUT, I've never used iPhone footage as part of a workflow. It's good to now this because soon, I may. It's just never worked for me with any of the Red, Alexa, Canon MXF, DSLR, or transcoded DV files I've used day to day.. If Apple has a "reflect upstream" path for metadata generated via iPhone files, good for them. That's useful. Even if it's not something many of us have much experience with.

Good luck with your finding the "switch" and if you do, let us know.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Nov 4, 2015 at 11:03:00 pm

If you save a bunch of clips into a folder in the finder (and I do this for media cards) with the date you want them all to have (I use the date of the shoot), FC will identify those clips as belonging to that collection.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Nov 5, 2015 at 3:33:15 am
Last Edited By Bill Davis on Nov 5, 2015 at 3:58:27 am

Again, I don't work with iPhone footage - but I'm trying to wrap my head around this concept and I really can't. In professional workflows, file IDs are usually critical. On serious sets there's almost always a DIT (Digital Intermediate Technician) or at least a Data Wrangler whose job it is to manage file IDs and insure consistency. The Idea that ANYTHING could automatically change a files fundamental finder designation after it gets downstream to editorial just sounds extremely bizarre to me. Maybe they realized this and that's why they changed the sysyem? But I'm clueless. User generated custom "alternative" names inside X? - sure. That's what the custom name generator is for. But to auto-magically change the actual fundamental clip name altering it upstream at the finder level after import seems totally nuts to me. But I could certainly be wrong.

Return to posts index

Job Hopeful
on Nov 5, 2015 at 4:25:39 am

You can use an app called "A better finder renamer" and set up a droplet so that after you capture the footage in FCPX, you dump the whole folder on the droplet and it will rename the footage much the same as FCPX used to. Works really well, the one downside is that you need to buy the app but for my workflow, I prefer to organize in finder and need the date, not clip #1 etc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]