FORUMS: list search recent posts

Thunderbolt connectivity problems

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Alan
Thunderbolt connectivity problems
on Oct 31, 2015 at 11:24:42 pm

I have been experiencing more than my share of errors involving thunderbolt connectivity. This has occurred on several different media drives on several different iMacs (all of the same vintage however -

What happens is the drive becomes unmounted and on several occasions will not remount and the media will get corrupted. In the last case on one of our OWC drives I was able to pull up the media using the usb connection after the disc utility while connected by thunderbolt read that the drive was unmountable.

In every case I had the drive backed up but still nervous time since I now didn't have a back up and have begun not to trust these drives.

I'm thinking that it might have something to do with these computers being the first that offered thunderbolt but they continue to work with other drives so I'm not sure what to make of it.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Thunderbolt connectivity problems
on Nov 1, 2015 at 2:01:03 am

So you're saying it's only OWC drives?

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Nov 1, 2015 at 2:57:12 am

no one of the pegasus drives developed similar symptoms but pegasus utility according to customer support told me there were bad sectors on one of the 4 drives. It was raid 0 so the whole raid failed.

But on both of these different raids when it gets unmounted like this the Mac also starts to reboot itself intermittently . Very weird. I really think it's a thunderbolt issue.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Nov 1, 2015 at 4:04:08 am

If it were me, I think I'd be thinking bad thunderbolt hardware. Might be worth having a chat to try nearest Apple service people.

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer | Southern Creative Media | Melbourne Australia
http://www.southerncreative.com.au | G+: http://gplus.to/jeffkirkland | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Nov 1, 2015 at 4:11:14 am

Thanks Jeff, I agree. But this is happening on more than one and different brands of raids and more than one Mac (though all the same vintage).

How common is problems with the thunderbolt hardware? Is it fragile? Do you mean the ports or some other component of the system?

Its been stressful.

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Nov 1, 2015 at 4:34:29 am

I would have thought hardware thunderbolt issues were few and far between. (I've never had a failure) but your issue certainly sounds more like hardware than software. I used to try and figure out all of this stuff myself but I've recently become a big apple support user. It's definitely worth chatting to them about the possibilities.

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer | Southern Creative Media | Melbourne Australia
http://www.southerncreative.com.au | G+: http://gplus.to/jeffkirkland | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Nov 1, 2015 at 9:57:51 pm

My original Pegasus R4 had tons of connectivity problem within it's first year and they simply sent me a housing after they couldn't diagnose the issue. They sent the new one and a box for me to mail back the old one and any connectivity issues have been few and far between since.

Return to posts index

Eugeny Korkhin
on Nov 2, 2015 at 11:13:51 am

Hi,
Check this out:

and this thread:
https://discussions.apple.com/message/16438123#16438123
It was long time ago, I could reproduce this issue but as for now, I can not remember when I had it last time.

Return to posts index

Doug Metz
on Nov 2, 2015 at 9:22:15 pm

Wow! Haven't seen that on my system (I keep my phone on the desk next to the HighPoint thunderbolt drive toaster...

I did experience frequent unmount issues with a G-Tech portable several months ago, but it turned out to be a problem with the thunderbolt cable I was using. Replaced the cable and haven't had an issue since.

Doug Metz

Anode

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Dec 16, 2015 at 12:17:24 pm

update. several of the owc drives are failing completely - that is they either loose connectivity or won't mount at all. The Pegasus drives have been ok lately. The demo links of using iPhones to disconnect thunderbolt caught my interest in that this was happening on 2011 iMacs which is what these are. I'm going to get my hands on newer iMacs and see if these mounting issues go away. That would be interesting.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]