FORUMS: list search recent posts

Digitize MiniDV Tapes

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Blumenfeld
Digitize MiniDV Tapes
on Oct 26, 2015 at 4:56:02 pm

Hi. I have borrowed a friend's Sony DSR 25 and have a bunch of mini DV Tapes I want to digitize to work on in the future. I need the highest quality and wondering the best method of digitizing...Quicktime seems to do OK, or is it better to do it in FCPX? Thanks.

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
Re: Digitize MiniDV Tapes
on Oct 26, 2015 at 5:27:27 pm

[David Blumenfeld] "Hi. I have borrowed a friend's Sony DSR 25 and have a bunch of mini DV Tapes I want to digitize to work on in the future. I need the highest quality and wondering the best method of digitizing...Quicktime seems to do OK, or is it better to do it in FCPX? Thanks."

If you are using a firewire cable then it is essentially just a data transfer, so the term "digitizing" is a misnomer in this case. No way to increase or decrease the quality of the files.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Check out my Mormon.org profile.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Oct 26, 2015 at 6:30:09 pm

Well, don't save them as ProRes HQ; that's like putting a gallon in a three-gallon bucket. Prores422 will be more than sufficient to convert that 25 megabit DV stuff.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Nov 1, 2015 at 4:27:22 am

I think the best quality is to stay with the original aspect ration and codec.

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH12743?locale=en_US

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Doug Metz
on Nov 3, 2015 at 8:26:33 pm

[Craig Alan] "I think the best quality is to stay with the original aspect ratio and codec.

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH12743?locale=en_US"

+1

You're not going to gain anything by transcoding to ProRes, since the tape is already a digital stream. In fact, it's possible that an incorrect transcode setting could hose your freshly-ingested files.

Doug Metz

Anode

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]