FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio sync in Resolve or FCPX

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Helgi Thor
Audio sync in Resolve or FCPX
on Oct 22, 2015 at 6:46:57 pm

I’ll be editing a feature shot with Alexa and I’m figuring out the workflow. Bringing the arriraw files into Davinci Resolve, convert to prores and import to FCPX seems to be the best way for the image.
Apparently Resolve can batch sync the audio based on timecode and rendered out with the image. Could there be any pitfall with this workflow? Is there any reason I should rather sync in FCPX (or use Sync’n’Link)?

--
Helgi Thor
Editor
Fortaleza
Brazil

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Audio sync in Resolve or FCPX
on Oct 22, 2015 at 8:27:54 pm

Well how are you going to edit in FCPX without synced audio? Resolve is at the end of the chain.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP eXchange - FCPX Workshops

Return to posts index

Helgi Thor
on Oct 22, 2015 at 9:21:34 pm

I'm not and I probably didn't make myself clear. I'll try again:

Option 1: Bring the ARRIRAW and the WAV files into Resolve, sync, render to MOV, import to FCPX and edit.

Option 2: Bring the ARRIRAW files into Resolve, render to ProRes, import MOV and WAV to FCPX, export XML, sync in Sync-N-Link, import XML and edit.

Option 1 seems to be less hassle, but I just want to make sure there won't be any pitfalls down the road when I deliver the final AAF to the sound department, due to the embedding into MOV.

Option 2 has the advantage of Sync-N-Link being able to translate the metadata track names to subroles and I will probably be exporting an XML anyway to use with ShotNotes-X.

Any thoughts?

--
Helgi Thor
Editor
Fortaleza
Brazil

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Oct 22, 2015 at 10:10:30 pm

Did the production supply you with any proxy formats? Just wondering whether you're doing more work than you need to by bringing Resolve in so early and making proxies there. Also are they supplying you with a preferred LUT?

Either of your stated options would likely work but I'm guessing your sound editorial team will prefer to have access to the original WAVs and not audio embedded in your ProRes files. So 2 would be the safer bet.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP eXchange - FCPX Workshops

Return to posts index

Helgi Thor
on Oct 27, 2015 at 6:06:21 pm

Shooting hasn't started yet and by your answer it seems that I haven't got the best workflow set yet.

I haven't worked with the Alexa before and I thought Resolve was the way to go for the proxies. Some further research shows that it can record MOV together with ARRIRAW, it seems.
Apparently I need do to do some more studying....

Thanks for the help.

--
Helgi Thor
Editor
Fortaleza
Brazil

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]